As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:wtf is a cv/gate cable? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:wtf is a cv/gate cable?
Cappy
wtf is a cv/gate cable? 12 Years, 1 Month ago
When I try to google it, i get nothing really. Is is just a regular ol' 1/8" audio cable that will connect, or do I need a special kind of cable? thinking about connecting a mc-202 with a sh-101. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:wtf is a cv/gate cable? 12 Years, 1 Month ago
Not a stupid question. regular 1/8" cable is fine. I think it can be either TS or TRS with the roland stuff.

TS=TIP SLEEVE=one band of black plastic on the plug
TRS=TIP RING SLEEVE=two bands of black plastic on the plug.

If you google trs cable and ts cable you'll see what I'm talking 'bout.
Game & Watch
look for adinfinitum ones, good and cheap...doepfer and paia got some nice ones too

http://www.adinfinitummusic.com/PC35mm.html
CV/Gate cable is only called that because it is being used to carry CV/Gate.

it's same as an audio cable etc. for MC202/sh101 you need 1/8 cables like the ones linked to by anselmi

also, research the MC-202s inadequacies when sending it Cv/gate just in case that comes up..

actually, here's the link to explain at kenton's site

check there where it says "more info"

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/sockets/roland/mc202.shtml

The MC-202 does have CV and Gate input sockets already fitted, which can be used with a CV converter, however these input sockets are not satisfactory in most cases. Firstly they are designed so that you can enter information into its internal sequencer using an external keyboard (or indeed, the CV converter), the significance of this is that it quantises the notes into discrete steps, in other words if you try and do a pitchbend, you will end up with the notes going up in semitones only, not smoothly. This isn`t a fault with the CV converter, but the action of the quantising process in the MC-202. Secondly, the fact that the note is quantised, sent to the internal sequencer & then played by the sequencer circuitry, means that the response is fairly slow doing it this way. Thirdly, you are limited to the note range that the sequencer can play. For the above reasons, we recommend that you have your MC–202 fitted with additional CV, Gate, filter & portamento sockets. We can supply a kit to fit your MC–202 with proper CV Gate and, filter and portamento input sockets which do not suffer from the above limitations.
Goomba
Re:wtf is a cv/gate cable? 10 Years, 11 Months ago
Yo can anybody here help me with setting up an arturia minibrute as a gate/cv slave to the analog 4? I've got the cable running from the cv out of the a4 to the minibrute in and no sound. Do I need to set up anything in the cv menu of the a4?
Goomba
Check out the following link which I found on this forum basic info

http://analog.pen.io/
Chain Chomp
MDuw mkI/Octatrack/Analog Four/TT-303/Vermona Kick Lancet/Eurorack Modular System/Monotribe/Monotron Delay/Monotron
You need to send the MiniBrute a GATE also, the CV just tells it what pitch to play, it doesn't trigger the envelopes.
Go to top Post Reply