As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Pots Machinedrum jumpy (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Pots Machinedrum jumpy
Boo
Prairie doggin'
Pots Machinedrum jumpy 13 Years, 7 Months ago
On my MD several of the pots are jumpy, specially when you press them to go faster. Did anyone experience this and what would be the best treatment? Deoxit like with DSI-products? Even my instrument select wheel is a bit freaky at times...
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:Pots Machinedrum jumpy 13 Years, 7 Months ago
this happened to mine and i sorted it out with some electrical contact spray

blow some compressed air under the nobs, then a little contact spray
Boo
Prairie doggin'
Mmm, not to keen on cantactspray as its pretty nasty stuff... Deoxit is somewhat more gentle but im not sure oxydation is a common problem with these pots(it was with DSI). Compressed air might help a bit but im afraid ill have to replace some pots on the long run(and the data wheel...)

anyone try this? Ive done some googling and indeed it seems im not alone in this : )
Boo
Prairie doggin'
Oh, and tnx Rob
Chain Chomp
I just had my MD back from Sweden where I got +drive, a new data wheel and all new encoders..the jog wheel was pretty annoying so definately wanted that changed and some of the encoders were beginning to go slightly jumpy like yours so I thought whilst it's in Sweden get it done..
Unfortunately the journey back for the MD must have been ardous as it came back with the led's above the data wheel recessed into the MD (fallen down inside and 1 is wonky)..looks like I'm going to have to open her up!
Chain Chomp
just realised my post made no valuable contribution! Sorry! haha..I would say try compressed air first then a very small amount of de-oxit..I think in small doses you prob can;'t go wrong with de-oxit and at worst you'll hve to change the encoder which you'd have to do anyway..
Goomba
Re:Pots Machinedrum jumpy 13 Years, 6 Months ago
My MD had jumpy encoders as well. I emailed Elektron and they said the encoders wear out after a lot of use and then need to be replaced. My MD was six years old. So Elektron sent me new ones (€5,- a piece) and last weekend I replaced them.

I opened the old encoders to have a look at what state they were in. Inside there's metal contacts that drag along others metal bits, and that's were the wear was clearly visible. This movement of metal on metal slowly erodes the contacts.

The replacement job took me about five hours. Pretty tense hours because my soldering skills were only just up to the job and there's tiny leads on the PCB board close to the encoders and small diodes and resistors. But it worked and now I'm very happy with the new smooth encoder action.
Hammer Bro
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
MDSPS-1UW+ MKII Doepfer DARKENERGY Darktime MKS-30 Mbase01 A&H Zed14 Ensoniq DP/4 RNC 1773
Re:Pots Machinedrum jumpy 13 Years, 6 Months ago
Does anyone know the part name and number for the encoders? I have one that is acting up that will need replacing...
Goomba
Re:Pots Machinedrum jumpy 13 Years, 4 Months ago
Does anyone know the part name and number for the encoders? I have one that is acting up that will need replacing...

UP!!!
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Re:Pots Machinedrum jumpy 13 Years, 4 Months ago
They are specially made just for Elektron, you'll have to contact them for replacements.
Go to top Post Reply