As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:long evolving soundscapes with Monomachine (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:long evolving soundscapes with Monomachine
Cappy
Julien
> ableton certified trainer
> max/msp/jitter expert
long evolving soundscapes with Monomachine 11 Years, 5 Months ago
Hi there,
I used to make (long) evolving textures when I was making my live performances with the computer.

Since I'm on MnM + MD, I still didn't experiment long evolving soundscapes.

I'd like to know some of your tips around that.

I'm using long D & R envelopes + 64 steps pattern, sometimes adding a bit of reverb consuming 1 track but it is ok.
I'm also using more than one track sometimes too to make thick sounds on stage (not multi trig mode but "on demand" multiple tracks sounds in one pattern for instance)
I'm also using long LFO slightly modifying stuff

and you? I'm very interested by your options & leads
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Re:long evolving soundscapes with Monomachine 11 Years, 5 Months ago
Awhile back Nils posted about this track -- 4 layers of MnM, with heavy washes of reverb. You might search the archives for the thread in case it offers more info about his method.

On the MD, the RAM machines are your friends. What I posted in this thread applies here too.
Cappy
Julien
> max/msp/jitter expert
many thanks for your answer dubathonic!

I checked this ambient track and loved it.
Especially, I want to be able to make my noise/ambient live performances with only MnM sometimes too. So it is possible. good.

About my MD UW and RAM machines, I didn't play a lot with them.
I'd like to use them to improve "beats variations" and maybe kind of beat repeat/glitch like stuff all along my live sets.
I begin to feel the power of those machines.
I got them only a small month ago and worked on my visuals so..

again: thanks to have pointed me there.
Killer Beez
3 brown dogs barking at each other....
That MNM jam is a beaut no doubt. Reminds me of the original silent hill game score.
Cappy
Julien
> max/msp/jitter expert
I'll do my best to post my work with them here too.
Anyway, I'll post that here: https://soundcloud.com/protofuse
Cappy
anything with the LFO set to very slow amounts helps, as does stacking tracks with effects tracks and trigger the effect track from your sound track. aslo more lfos on your effect tracks. Try something like delay with a lot of feedback( not past 64) and control the Delay send with an lfo. also use the delays on the effect tracks.
If you use a long attack on the amplification page mixed with long realese and deley. You can create some eerie drones. I find these sorts of sounds are better suited to a keyboard controller and not the step sequencer. The vo synth can create some weird landscapes couple it with a thru machine as a neibour, maybe some chorus or reverb(extra deley on your sounds) and you have some drone music.
Unless you absolutely want to keep the MD off the equation, you could give a try to the superslow LFO trick.
Game & Watch
Don't forget to apply another LFO to LFO speed to decrease the repetition factor.

I love turning knobs on the Mono, it is begging for it, additionaly hook up keyboard controller with pitch stick and/or modulation wheels, assign the right parameters (no set rules, just a matter of taste & testing) and ... modulate! Great results with modulating synthesis page parameters with FM & Digipro machines. This was done using Monomachine only.
Cappy
Julien
> max/msp/jitter expert
Finally, I'll plug the MnM output to one MD input (it is the opposite right now) so I guess I won't put the MD on the side even for my drone/ambient gig.

Thanks to all of your for your nice ideas, leads, tricks., cheat mode.

- super long lfo is really GREAT.
- Amp AHDR tweaks is also THE way to go combined with pattern switch to not have even a kind of percussive sound the first time one is triggered

I wouldn't need an Octatrack but I thought at one moment I would need that for long samples but I'm now okay and I discovered how can behave the MnM at drone/ambient fields. I won't need samples (until the day when I'll need them )
Go to top Post Reply