As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear DSI Mopho - huge disappointment (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: DSI Mopho - huge disappointment
DSI Mopho - huge disappointment 12 Years, 2 Months ago
i got my mopho last week. after playing around i noticed there is a metallic noise especially when playing deep bass sounds with low cutoff and short envelope. this is what dsi support wrote:

"Thank you for sending the sysex file. I've loaded it into a Mopho and can confirm that this is expected behavior of the Mopho.

There is a very small amount of OSC1 bleeding into the signal path, when you have the Mixer set to 127. This is expected and the nature of analog design. The constant noise that is not the OSC or the metallic plonk sound is the noisefloor of the VCA when open. The very quiet metallic sound is the filter being affected by it's envelope, if you open the filter all the way you will cease to hear it.

If you have been using digital synths and/or plugins where there is absolute silence, the noise from the analog circuitry might be a little disconcerting. However I can say with certainty that your Mopho is behaving correctly.
I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions,"

I think the mopho has a very cheap circuit, that's the reason for this "analog" behavior. Well it went back to the music shop.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:DSI Mopho - huge disappointment 12 Years, 2 Months ago
Not surprised
Chain Chomp
It's $400. What did you expect?
sure, it's cheap but if i can't edit the sound i want with it it's worthless. my evolver has a much better circuit compared to the mopho.
That scholl bus yellow has always made me look the other direction regardless of how its sounds
lag
Goomba
dataline wrote:
Not surprised

Isn't hat due to the Curtis chiop they use?

I remember having read about this "filter bleeding" several times. Can't remember if this was on all DSIs though.

EDIT: yes, the CEM chip, DSI-120, designed for DSI exclusively, is used in P08, Mopho and I guess it is present in Tetra as well. Here, for french readers.

I'm sorry you were disappointed mate.
thanks for the input, stiiiiiiive! french was the reason why i had to switch my school. anyway, imo dave smith packed his knowledge into the evolver and realized later that it was much too over-engineered. a mistake other companies (especially from germany) did before. i really can't figure out why dsi is so successful with the newer products.
Cappy
Having not played any of the Dave Smith products, can someone explain to me why a lot of people hate this brand...I remember being at switched on in Austin, and one of the guys that worked there refused to use anything Dave Smith whatsoever. Is even the tempest a bad investment? It seems so badass!
Killer Beez
3 brown dogs barking at each other....
I thought the quality of my Mopho keys was right for the price.... I just find the tone a bit corny TBH. Sounds daft I know but it wasn't my bag.

Got an FR XS And felt the quality of sound raise ten fold (along with the price)

I decided then You realy do get what you pay for most of the time with analogue and the Mopho put me off DSI. Even though I realy wanted to love that keyboard.
Go to top Post Reply