As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive manner (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive manner
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive manner 14 Years, 3 Months ago
Ok,

one day I was playing with the Monomachine and I had the ARP screen on and I was setting up an arpeggiator.

I know that the MnM's arpeggiator can have up to 16 steps.

And I know that you can program "offsets" in the arpeggiator*.

So basically you have something very similar to an old-school analog step-sequencer.

———————————————————————————————

Suddenly, when I gazed over the whole machine I realized two things:

1)
I can now use the Monomachine's arpeggiators as old-school-16-step-analog-sequencer type sequencers (which I've always wanted).

And

2)
I can probably/finally create the ever-wanted Poly-Rhythm on the Monomachine**.

———————————————————————————————

Info:
*Hold down a green note on the arpeggiator for a sec. and the offset window will pop up and then you can program an "offset" from the root note (+1, +2, +3, etc. / -1, -2, -3, etc.).

So here's what you do.
You program some sounds on the tracks.
Then you just input a C note in the first step of each track.
Then you open the ARP window on the desired track, choose how many steps you want (use something "off-beat" like 11 or 7 steps) now you take out the steps you don't want by pressing them (they will turn red) and now, because your note on the track is C you can program in offsets onto the remaining green steps (start counting on the scale from C; +1 = C#, +2 = D, etc.).

**When I tested this thoroughly I noticed that the Monomachine "restarts" the arpeggiator cycle if it doesn't "fit" into the 16 steps on the regular sequencer, so the Poly-Rhythm isn't exactly "free-running", but it's very close and I think we should ask Elektron to implement a function to turn off/on Arpeggiator-Restart (it restart when the internal sequence goes back to the start and plays the inputted C note).

BUT, while I'm writing this, I figured out it should be possible to use the ARP Mode that doesn't stop when you stop the internal sequencer (ADD?).
So you could start the Arpeggiators and then stop the internal sequencer and they should run freely OR even, just take out the trigger/note on the internal sequencer (C)!.

If this is the case (that the Arps restart when the sequencer hits the note again),
then, ladies & gentlemen, I present to you; Poly-Rhythm on the Monomachine!
^^^I'll have to try this when I get home!

In the meanwhile, you have something new to play with!

And here are some quick demos that I did in 5 minutes, using this technique (they're totally unedited and ridiculous ):

http://geirhelgi.com/a/poly-rhythm-sequencer-monomachine/Audio_7.mp3
http://geirhelgi.com/a/poly-rhythm-sequencer-monomachine/Audio_6.mp3
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive mann 14 Years, 3 Months ago
this is REAL invention! thank you.
Game & Watch
Re:Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive mann 14 Years, 3 Months ago
nice!
Boo
hageir wrote:
Ok,

one day I was playing with the Monomachine and I had the ARP screen on and I was setting up an arpeggiator.

I know that the MnM's arpeggiator can have up to 16 steps.

how i can have more than 8?
Game & Watch
use the Level rotary when the Arp page is open.

right direction -> more green led's will appear to indicate new arpeggio notes
Boo
previewlounge wrote:
use the Level rotary when the Arp page is open.

right direction -> more green led's will appear to indicate new arpeggio notes

thanks!
Game & Watch
your welcome!
thanks to Hageir for making the thread;
i like to read about others talking about the Arpeggiato.
King Koopa
Re:Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive manner 14 Years, 3 Months ago
preview lounge and Hageir : thanx nice tips here,
the rotary level on arpeggiator page hoot me:

HK
Also remember that the Arp track trigs can be limited to either Amp, Filter and LFO or any combination thereof.

Further, if a track has an Arp engaged it can be played via a keyboard/trig keys, even if the MnM is stopped or the track is muted.

The only thing I wish the MnM Arp had is a dedicated button/midi controller to engage/latch it as it is seen on an SH 101.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
Ok, now I remember how to do this correctly!

Stop the sequencer.
Program your Arpeggiator lines.

Turn on MIDI Channel 7 and hold C down (controlling ALL tracks at once).
Now you have it!
Go to top Post Reply