As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music Re:7 days - 7 tracks - 7 flavours of techno - using MDUW only (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:7 days - 7 tracks - 7 flavours of techno - using MDUW only
7 days - 7 tracks - 7 flavours of techno - using MDUW only 13 Years, 10 Months ago
I had too much coffee today, and since I have some time to noodle with my boxes (no exams or upcoming gis that need focus) I decided to make an experiment. I'm making one track from scratch per day using only the MDUW, and the goal is to make 7 very different tracks, only thing they will have in common is the techno domain they aree derived trom.

and after day one I've laready broken my rule, cause I made two tracks

Day One - Dub Techno
and
Day Two - Hard Techno

Edit: added two more tracks:

Day Three - Minimal?

Day Four - Acid Techno

theese are raw recordings, and I made a point out of doing only one take of each, so this is uncut, unedited material, straight from the UW to reaper. More recordings will follow, I really hope I will be able to pull off one track per day

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/album/7-days-of-techno
  The topic has been locked.
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Re:7 days - 7 tracks - 7 flavours of techno - using MDUW only 13 Years, 10 Months ago
Nice, dude! Very cool stuff.

I just DL'd the demo for Reaper. Do you know if it's possible to slave the MD to Reaper's clock via MIDI? I would like to use it for multitracking and that capability is important to me. Haven't had time to dig in deep to see what the MIDI clock/control options are within Reaper...
Game & Watch
Re:7 days - 7 tracks - 7 flavours of techno - using MDUW only 13 Years, 10 Months ago
Yes, it's pretty easy. Just go into Preferences in Reaper and make sure that your computer's Midi device is enabled and also that it sends Song Position Pointer (i.e., make sure it says Enabled+Control or something like that). Then Elektron devices will follow along very nicely, especially in Song Mode as you can play your Elektron song back numerous times and record one machine/track per pass. Did that recently and it worked like a dream. The sync was excellent.

PS: great idea on 7 days concept Liking the tunes.
Cappy
both tracks are really nice. keep it going. seven days... hmm.. dub, hard, minimal, detroit, tribal, swedish, what am i missing? surely something obvious!
gabber, ambient techno, tech-house etc I don't know, I just want them to be different

and wow, I better start recording my UW in song mode and mulitrack
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Veets wrote:
Yes, it's pretty easy. Just go into Preferences in Reaper and make sure that your computer's Midi device is enabled and also that it sends Song Position Pointer (i.e., make sure it says Enabled+Control or something like that). Then Elektron devices will follow along very nicely, especially in Song Mode as you can play your Elektron song back numerous times and record one machine/track per pass. Did that recently and it worked like a dream. The sync was excellent.

Thank you, Veets...you just made my day with that tid bit of knowledge.

I really like Logic for a few things, but by and large I find it kind of cumbersome to use. Setting up and arming tracks for recording in Reaper is very straightforward...workflow jives with me. I'm very happy that the MIDI sync will work as what you are describing is exactly how I work.

Oh, and to stop my thread-jacking, Tron...very excited to hear the next 5 in your series. It's a great idea.
Admin
big fat sound on my headphones. excellent mix! nice tracks bro.

thanks for the share and the inspiration to work quickly. i love little goal oriented projects like this. mine over the last two weeks away from the studio has been to get my hands dirty(er) with audiomulch and alchemy. alchemy is blowing my mind!!

this reeeeaally has me itching to get back to elektron valley.

jeez... huge bass on the dub track. nice.
Yoshi
Good stuff looking forward to checking em all!
Chain Chomp
Machinedrum SPS-1UW+ MkII
Monomachine SFX-60+ MkII
Roland Gear
------------------------------------
www.syn303.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/syn303
If you want to make hard techno, you better turn up that distortion dial for your kicks. Although your tracks esp the techno ones you might want to try dropping in build-ups and/or breakdowns just to give the tracks a bit of variety.
Syn303 wrote:
If you want to make hard techno, you better turn up that distortion dial for your kicks. Although your tracks esp the techno ones you might want to try dropping in build-ups and/or breakdowns just to give the tracks a bit of variety.

it was actually maxed on the second track, along with max volume and vol parameter...

yeah, making variety is key for sure, in fact I usually spend a lot of time to make things move, although I must admit I just hit record and muted/unmuted while tweaking parameters on certain percussion sounds. but I'll have that in mind for the next ones sure

thanx for the response, hope I can pull this off without them all sounding too similar
Go to top Post Reply