As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:Computer-Free Basslines: a Brainstorming Exercise (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Computer-Free Basslines: a Brainstorming Exercise
Goomba
Computer-Free Basslines: a Brainstorming Exercise 11 Years, 11 Months ago
I (and perhaps others here) am an OT owner interested in learning more about basslines, and would just assume not be glued to the computer when making them. I’m interested in cheap (as in, not much more expensive than say, a Minitaur or a Biscuit) synths, guitar pedals, samples/sample manipulation devices and even iPad apps. I’m mainly approaching this from a DnB perspective. You know, your standard snarling, explosive, tear-you-a-new-asshole type sounds. But feel free to discuss from an industrial/metal/IDM/whatever perspective if you want. Hell, talk about the weather for all I care. I’ve never owned a guitar pedal in my life, but those are definitely what I’m looking at most for the time being.

I’ve interested in:

1. Minitaur (perhaps processed by OT)

2. Processing an iPad synth (or samples on iPad and/or OT) with B:assmaster or Disnortion

3. Various other pedals. For example, the Wooly Mammoth caught my attention today. I already intend to get a Biscuit regardless of what I end up getting for bass. I'll just get that sooner than later if it would render other pedals rather redundant for bass purposes.

Also, I’m curious what you would classify the sound here at 1:30. A lead, a bassline, or both?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_IpHaUUb0&feature=related

Then at about the 1:32 mark, you can hear a rumbling sound going along with the beat. Is that considered reverb?

Thanks!
  The topic has been locked.
Yoshi
Look at my stuff, and help me obtain my burger
Clips and videos
Re:Computer-Free Basslines: a Brainstorming Exercise 11 Years, 11 Months ago
i am having lots of fun cutting up my x0xbox in the octatrack for all kinds of various basses.
nice cheap brandless fuzzbox for some flavour.. is nice.. but hmm well cheap.
elektribe-a .. their dirt-cheap on the evil-bay.. comes with nice sequencer..
and i bet.. that if you just program some weird bassline on it.. and play a bit with the sequencer.
that it be just as awesome samplefood, as the xoxbox is..

i would send ya an example, but my own elektribe-a is in a difrent country then me
but i bet its lots of easy cheap fun.. and if i am wrong.. well your out a few quid.. and still have a sequence-able filter.. thats how i use it..
Flo
Chain Chomp
want to go cheap but powerful?? take a shruthi kit, perfect for bass... and analog filter... i think one kit is to sell on the forum for cheap.....
Goomba
Thanks, dreammer. I've actually considered getting a x0xbox. I am a bit confused about the company, though. I thought I could remember it being called "Layla" or something, but it's now apparently called "Mode Machines."

And Flo, I really like that idea. I'd never heard of that company. I sent them an email to have them answer a question for me (concerning whether the Red Alert Edition or 4-Pole Mission would be more suitable for what I'm after). At the time that I emailed them, I was thinking I'd just wait until an already-made unit came up for sale on the Mutable-Instruments site, but I'm now considering learning how to solder so that I can assemble my own Shruthi and perhaps other DIY kits in the future. I guess it would be a good idea to do some kind of cheaper DIY project as practice, though. I hope the bass on the Shruthi synths is tough enough. And if it's not, I guess it can be toughened up. I'm starting to think that perhaps a hybrid is the best path to interesting basslines (if you can only have one synth). Not sure whether a digital filter on an analog signal would be like, though...curious about that. I also wonder if the Shruthi would make better bass than just running a (digital, of course) signal from an iPad synth into an analog filter on a Biscuit. That would be cheaper, since I plan on getting a Biscuit anyway.
x0xb0x is open source. The originals were only sold as DIY kits. Mode machines is one commercially available prebuilt. I do not have experience with them. The best unmodded x0xb0x I know of on the market is at http://www.syntheticmusicsystems.co.uk/

I bought one used that was built from the kit and heavily modded, including the proper transistors in the filter.

Do research before picking up a x0xb0x, not all are equal!

I get very heavy bass from a MeeBlip. I have an older version running an older OS, it is not playing very well with the MD. Hanging notes and what not. Sequences fine from the x0xb0x and others. Hopefully, when I update the OS it will be sorted.

I can most definitely recommend the Moog Midi Murf. Great for adding variation to a bassline with different filtering at each hit. Really good gnawing growl. Feed it white noise with a tight envelope setting for analog resonant filter drums. It does have a very characteristic sound. I like it but if you don't it may not be for you. I often use effects after it for variation.
Boo
The minitaur is pretty damn sweet I've heard some amazing things done with it so far very growly. However I have to say Shruthi is pretty awesome. They are both great synths The shruthi is probably more versatile but hearing it in person I was quite impressed (I have one but haven't put it together yet) I'm seriously considering getting two and chaining them together.. They are great.

I second the Bassmaster or a zvex box of metal processing the moog though.. it sounds great.
Flo
Chain Chomp
.i will definitely buy a xox kit at a oint, and it will be from the seller recommended by adafruit, creator of the xox,
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/04/20/x0xb0x-is-back-and-shipping-again-say-hello-to-willzyx-music/

he do builded xox too.... Here you can be sure about the quality i think....
Goomba
Anyone know if a Filterbank's overdrive/distortion is good enough to just forget about buying a B:assmaster when it comes to toughening up basslines?
King Koopa
mrsurga.tumblr.com
Does anyone have samples of xoxboxes used for non-303 sounds?
like non-acid filtered bass, using a midi LFO to create wobble basses, leads, drones, etc...

Thanks
wobbles and drones are not possible on a x0xb0x without feeding it external audio, the sound always decays. No using midi LFO either. Only responds to note and velocity. I have a CV in mod for filter cutoff and res.

For wobbles and drones: MeeBlip, Vermona Lancet, Minitaur, phatty
Go to top Post Reply