As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Minicommand firmware / ideas / wishlist / request thread (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Minicommand firmware / ideas / wishlist / request thread
Boo
Minicommand firmware / ideas / wishlist / request thread 11 Years, 11 Months ago
Here's a thread that can be used as a generic ideas / firmware / wishlist / request thread for the minicommand. If anyone wants to take any of these ideas and start working on them, i'd suggest to start a new thread so that progress, updates etc can be more easily monitored?

A couple of random ideas that i've had to get the ball rolling:

1. MNM preset machine manager - a minicommand firmware which would loop through all the preset kits on the MNM and store each machine's settings as a "preset" and then write this data out to a file on the built in SD card. The firmware would then use this list to be able to act as a "browser", i.e. turning an encoder would select a machine "preset" from the file and load the machine and settigns to the currently selected MNM track.

2. E-MU SP12 sample manager (!!). I recently bought an SP12 and was daydreaming about using the minicommand as an external storage device for Midi SDS dumps of samples. The tape/disk drive backups on SP12s take around 12 minutes, whereas midi SDS apparently only takes 1.5 mins. The killer for this will be that the SP12 apparently uses custom handshaking when loading samples via midi, and as far as i can see on the net no one has been able to crack this yet. There were some old school mac programs (DrumFile / SP12 librarian) that used to be able to transfer samples via midi but the images / source code / midi sample dump spec are pretty much unobtainium....
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Re:Minicommand firmware / ideas / wishlist / request thread 11 Years, 11 Months ago
An idea for MD I've kicked around:

A modified version of MD Notes that would allow the user to limit which tracks receive note information, whether those tracks are active or not.

As of now, polyphonic mode always sends note info to all unmuted & trigged tracks that have machines whose pitch range corresponds to specific notes. I imagine a version in which you could select, say, only tracks 13-16 to receive note data...and even if you have a few samples, EFM-HH's, etc. playing on other active tracks from 1-12, they would not receive note data.

Upshot: you could play chords, polyphonic melodies, etc. on T13-16 while your pattern runs.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Re:Minicommand firmware / ideas / wishlist / request thread 11 Years, 11 Months ago
Another MD idea:

A firmware that allows you to shift track trigs to the right or left, which you can do now while in REC mode using [Func + Right/Left arrow], but more efficiently while jamming.

Possible setup: Select up to four MD tracks on the first MC page, and then on the second MC page offset these tracks' trigs by twisting the four MC knobs.

So for example you have rhythms on two tracks, but you want to make one of them start two steps earlier and another three steps later. You could select those tracks on the first MC page, then on the second MC page twist knob 1 to the left and knob 2 to the right, and those tracks' trigs would instantly be offset by -2 and +3 steps. Ideally, even have an "execute" button so all the adjustments would happen at the right moment, and a "recall" button to revert to their previous trig positions.

Upshot: Easy rhythmic changeups on the fly.
Goomba
Im thinking about making a new MnM monster patch to be able to use some of the other MnM patches that have been uploaded here in addition to the euclid and MnM live patch.
Hi guys, very happy to see that still some hope with this project.

I´ve been checking on the MIDIDUINO - MIDI CTRL - MINICOMMAND source files for a long time... trying to get my arduino board to work with this amazing libraries... but as we all know the ruin & wesen web and forum are dead.

I also agree that the information is messy and complicate for people who are not deeply in to programming.

Im trying to find out the best way to build the hardware myself, and use it to control the Octatrack´s parameters... using an arduino mega 2560.

Any ideas how to proceed? do you guys own the "midi-command" development board?

Thanks!
Admin
tIB was here
Good to see someone running with this, I no longer have a minicommand but I did have a few ideas back when -

Polyrhythmic sequencer - based around 4 separate counters, set the count limit to whatever you want for each track (ie every 7 beats), and allow knob movements over as many bars as possible. Clock dividers on each counter would be nice too.

Dynamic allocation of MNM voices - ie scroll through selected tracks upon note hit. (I think you did that?)

Arpeggitator control - access the MNM arpegiator.

Arpeggiator - bank of four arps for use with the machinedrum.

There was a load more suggestions over at the forum, but I guess they are gone now. Using the SD card to save snapshots (like the plus drive) was the big one that manuel never managed to put uut there. What's the midi clock like on it now btw?

Good luck with this, Ill be keeping an eye on it.
Killer Beez
This is great. I have had ideas since I got the minicommand but found the hill too steep.
I learnt some C++ so I know the concepts but struggle with breaking things down.

It would be really useful for me to have some existing code highlighted and explained. Maybe then I can rip it apart and adapt/build my own.

A step by step guide to writing, compiling and uploading would also help to get things started. i.e. which software to use.

Whatever happens it's good to see this glimmer of light.
LIVESEQ actually the environment to programing this unit is pretty straight forward,as the code is all online as opensource and uses the Arduino- processing environment for compiling the code... just really easy, also Ruin & wesen happend to have made an amazing work with the code, so its actually easier than you may think...

Understandable concept and words are use. I dont own a minicomand, but Im trying to build one myself for a while and have been diging on it a lot...

Hoping to see the project to come alive again!!

Julian
Killer Beez
Its ok. Its all here. http://ruinwesen.com/blog?id=1618 amazing how time can fog the memory.

I just need to get back to deciphering the code.

Good luck with the build and thanks for the reminder. The groundwork done by RW is superb and nothing like this is ever easy.
one thing I always wanted for the MD was a LFO quantizer:

the first encoder of the MC increases the LFO time by a value of 2,4,8 or16 (custom)
second encoder increases by a value of 3/6/9/12 for example
third encoder increases by 4/8/16/32
and fourth encoder could either increase by 5/10 etc, or be used to double the times of the first three encoders, so that is encoder 1 is set to increase LFO time by 2 values, turning up ecoder 4 one notch means encoder 1 now increases LFO time by 4 values per notch.

This way you could create and play the lfo's rythmically and change easily from lfo time of 2 to 24 without messing up the flow of the LFO

Oh my, I'n not good at explaining things here
Go to top Post Reply