As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!!
Hammer Bro
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
MDSPS-1UW+ MKII Doepfer DARKENERGY Darktime MKS-30 Mbase01 A&H Zed14 Ensoniq DP/4 RNC 1773
Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago
Tarekith wrote:

Not true on a MKII unit here. If I reset the MD back to it's factory state, the Compressor is on 100% wet by default, and there's a noticeable difference in sound if I turn the mix to 100% dry.

)

Compressor 100% wet factory state is this equal to 127 or full clockwise?
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
The compressor is on by default but it isn't doing much proper compression as the sidechain HP filter is set as high as it can be, the attack and release are as long as possible, the knee is set to full, which means it has a very gradual knee and the threshold is set very high.

The first thing I do on a new kit is set-up the compressor to do some actual compression (lower the HP and sharpen the knee, lower the threshold, that kind of thing), mix a bit of dry back in and then mix my pattern into it, until later on where i'll probably come back and re-assess it. Different folks work in different ways though. Hopefully the MD DJ project thingy should be good for really looking into that.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
cosmosuave wrote:
Tarekith wrote:

Not true on a MKII unit here. If I reset the MD back to it's factory state, the Compressor is on 100% wet by default, and there's a noticeable difference in sound if I turn the mix to 100% dry.

)

Full wet is 0, full dry is 127, it's the opposite of what you would think.
Hammer Bro
MDSPS-1UW+ MKII Doepfer DARKENERGY Darktime MKS-30 Mbase01 A&H Zed14 Ensoniq DP/4 RNC 1773
Tarekith wrote:
cosmosuave wrote:
Tarekith wrote:

)

Full wet is 0, full dry is 127, it's the opposite of what you would think.

What about the rest of the controls do they follow the same format?
Game & Watch
If you are trying to get standard compressor pumping effects, you might find you get there more directly with LFOs or the CTR machines. For example, have a CTR-ALL machine and p-lock (or slide) the volume of everything up and down. For more surgical pumping of only one or two things, use LFOs or slides/p-locks.

This takes a few minutes to get set up and tweak, but then you know you got it. Using the compressor, you just have to take it for what it is. Sometimes it gives you what you want, sometimes it doesn't.

Have a search for pseudo sidechain - there was a lot of talk about this a while back. I have been reading this board for quite a while and no one has yet to my knowledge gotten the 2010 standard dramatic pumping out of the MD.

For livesets, the above approach gets more difficult because many tracks have to be considered. I know Highsage and others will bring a small dedicated hardware unit. FMR makes some small ones that have a pretty good rep.
Hammer Bro
A side from all the side chaining and lfo routing I just want to know how the controls work i.e clockwise rotation or counter clockwise... I realize that the Dynamix will not give you that pumping effect or maybe it will once come to grips on how the controls work...
Yoshi
I think it is only the Mix control which is the other way round.
Game & Watch
djd_oz wrote:
I think it is only the Mix control which is the other way round.

K- how about this?
Game & Watch
Oops - quoted wrong person and now it won't let me edit. Anyway, this is for Cosmosuave. Wiki updated.
AN1
Boo
Thanks for the diagram! One last clarification, more highpass means more low frequencies filtered out from triggering the compressor?
Go to top Post Reply