As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off)
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off) 13 Years, 1 Month ago

DSC_0298 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0299 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0300 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0301 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0305 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0306 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0307 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0308 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0309 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0310 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0311 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0312 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0313 by Hz-C, on Flickr

DSC_0314 by Hz-C, on Flickr

I don't want to do this again, but aint she lovely inside.

Tomorrow night i bring the iron out to rip the legs off
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off) 13 Years, 1 Month ago
tas kinda creepy man.

but cool
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
Re:DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off) 13 Years, 1 Month ago
thanks,

hmmm not really that cool, this is an old Mk1 Mono, and whilst the encoders are mainly built like a tank, the spindles are plastic, and dont take to kindly to the pulling that occurs when you want to take the knobs off. All this levering to get the knobs off is tugging at 2 tiny barbs of plastic. These barbs main purpose is to regulate the heigh of the spindle after clicking down, not to do battle with the handle of a spoon.

Once the spindle decides its coming out, thats it, broken, it'll work mostly, but little bits of plastic get caught up in the base of the encoder, and eventually (during a set perhaps) it will get lodged preventing click dialling and other shady nonsense.

I have ordered encoders from Elektron, my advice is to buy more than you need. Initially, I only needed to replace one - as you can see i need now to replace two. Justin has done this too, and I agree, I will need to dig deep to get through the next phase.

Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
I've replaced encoders on other gear before, and they seem like such delicate things (especially when you take apart and look at the old one like I did). You seem to know what you're doing...good luck!
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
Thanks,

Its the cleaning up that'll give me the pain - hate desoldering
Game & Watch
^ Done the same here. Still waiting to hear back about the encoders.

Taking them out the way you have done should make desoldering a breeze, just heat the pin wait till solder melts then quickly pull the pins out with needle nose pliers, clean any remaining solder with a desolder pump.
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
needle nose pliers - trip to maplin tomorrow
Game & Watch
If you get a solder sucker there, don't get the expensive ones, the cheap (well that's relative at Maplin isn't it?) blue one they do is fine, had mine for years then thought I'd get a better one, but it was crap compared to the old blue one - that thing could suck golf balls down a hosepipe, but watch the recoil
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
I have 2 of these, one heated and one like an antisyringe. The heated one is a bit of a pasty suitable for stripping lead off a church, think i'll go with the dainty number
Boo
Are there metal-shafted encoders that are compatible with the MnM does anyone know?
I don't see what the point of replacing them with stock encoders is if such a thing exists.
Go to top Post Reply