As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Echo Freeze Delay - explain LOCK and PASS controls? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Echo Freeze Delay - explain LOCK and PASS controls?
Echo Freeze Delay - explain LOCK and PASS controls? 12 Years, 11 Months ago
Hi all -

I was playing around with the Delay trying to see what it could do as a looper. I was reading the manual about the LOCK and PASS controls that exist in the Delay Setup screen, and even after using them for a bit I'm wondering what I'm missing.

From the manual:

LOCK controls the feedback behavior of the delay. When set to 1 it will override certain parameters and give them other values. The SEND parameter of the DELAY MAIN page will be set to 0 and the DIR setting to 0 and FB to 100. This is handy when using the delay as a repeater.

PASS controls how the signal will be routed when the LOCK setting is active. A setting of 1 will send the direct signal to the LOCK. A setting of 0 will hinder it from being passed to the LOCK.

From what I can tell, though, it seems like when LOCK is on, everything in the delay buffer is cleared and continually overwritten until LOCK is turned off. At that point, the delay plays back the last thing in the buffer. PASS doesn't seem to do anything.

Does anyone have any advice or info that I'm missing?

thanks,

- M
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
Re:Echo Freeze Delay - explain LOCK and PASS controls? 12 Years, 11 Months ago
It's probably me, but I'm still not 'getting' the echo/freeze thing about this delay. I can't get anything but a standard delay effect. Maybe the manual refers to how it will work at OS V1.0?
Game & Watch
+1. If I could figure out what is the major difference between the OT delay and the MNM/MD delay, it would be one less Mystery of the TechnoSphinx.
okay here's the freeze effect patch:

turn lock to on.
pass off.
tape-- depends on if u want slewed or stepped modulation. on is slewed, off is stepped. only applies if yr doing modulation with an LFO or scenes or locks etc.
sync u prolly want on assuming yr making dance music

turn send all the way to max- this will give u a dry signal.

turn feedback all the way up or very near maximum.

set time to a nice beat divided interval-- 8 or 16 or 32 or 64 or 24 or 48 etc.

assign scene b to track the send amount to 0-- the effect is only triggered when u hit 0 on send.

now jam-- every time u bring the x-fader all the way to scene b, you will initiate the freeze effect-- xfader is acting as a switch. if u want the switch to engage earlier, assign either scene a or the route value of the send parameter to a lower send value. all send values above 0 will be dry.

try it on master out, then on drum loops, kiks, etc. if u want the dry signal on top of the freezes, turn pass on. u can control the volume of the freeze effect with the vol parameter on the delay main page. you can hi pass the freeze effect with the "base" parameter (useful for not OLing sound systems when going glitch-tastic on the freezes). if u change delay time while in a freeze u get awesome-sauce.

hope this helps feel free to ask questions.
Hammer Bro
Nice explanation, thanks for that.
Thank you, dogoftears! That was really helpful.
Yoshi
Thank you. Nice explanation.
Go to top Post Reply