As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT: Saving procedure (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT: Saving procedure
Goomba
OT: Saving procedure 12 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi!

Im learning the OT but havent completely understood the procedure of saving a project including arrangements, banks, patterns and parts. I think it is sometimes difficult to remember what changes I have made, and therefore what exactly I should save. Therefore I tend to save both project, parts and arrangement separately if I want to go to another project - which seems to be a lot of saving, so:

1. When saving a project does this also save all changes in parts and arrangements? If not, why not? If so, why is it possible to save just parts or arrangements? Wouldnt it be enough to just save the project and thereby saving all included? Giving a name to an arrangement and parts could in this way just be called "Naming"...

2. Is saving a backup point (project) the same as saving the project? If so, why is it called a backup point and not just "Save project" (not "Save as new")? And if the project havent been saved earlier, the respond could be (as normally in software): "Save as".

Thanks a lot.

Moogens.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:OT: Saving procedure 12 Years, 9 Months ago
Hello,

I cannot help you a lot... I complitely agree with you that the saving procedure is a bit messy... it would be nice to have a save as entry wich saves everything.

At the momment when I edit parts, arrangements etc, I saved them everytime... when I feel like I did a lot and dont want to risk the information, what I do is save a new version of the project as a back up... then I make a backup point and before I swich off the machine , sync to card... it seems to work fine...

Hoping to have this implemented a bit better in future releases...
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
I don't know about arrangements, I still never used them. Also, I'm not sure about any of this since I also think the saving procedure is a bit confusing. But here is how I think it works:

Parts: In theory you never need to save a part, the last changes you made are always there linked to their bank and project. You just save it so you can tweak/change it and then be able to come back to where it was (by using "reload part").

The project also does not exactly need to be saved (once again, in theory) because it is always there like you left it, even after turning the machine OFF; the thing is: I think it is in RAM memory, so "sync to card" is getting the project from the RAM to the Card so if your machine freezes (like it's happening a lot in this new OS) and you do a Reset (cleaning your RAM) you will loose everything you made since your last sync (I learned this the hard way).

Saving a backup is like saving a part: you don't really need to do it, but it's useful if you have your set ready/perfect and then you tweak the hell out of it in your jam-session and then you want to go back to where it was (restore to previous backup )

I think this is why they don't have a "save project" like normal software, because everything is always there like you left it in your machine's RAM.
TL;DR: You just sync it so you don't loose anything in dramatic situations or when you change your CFcard; so you actually should sync often. The restore is just so you can mess up with your project and then go back to where it was

I hope this was not too confusing and not too far from the truth
Goomba
Thanks for your efforts!

Yes I do think it is a bit confusing. Also because projects are saved as backup points, but parts and arrangements are saved as normal software (?),
King Koopa
I think often (if not usually) when you want to sync to card you also want to save the current part because you want to revert to that part quickly if you fuck sth up after you saved.

So imho there should at least be a way to save the current part together with syncing to card.
Cappy
Gotta disagree a little bit with phading about parts...

Always save your parts if you want them to be retained when changing banks. If you are working in bank A and do not save your parts and switch to bank B, your part edits in bank A will not be there when you switch back. Phading is correct though that when working within the same bank, your part edits are retained.
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
nocturne wrote:
Gotta disagree a little bit with phading about parts...

Always save your parts if you want them to be retained when changing banks. If you are working in bank A and do not save your parts and switch to bank B, your part edits in bank A will not be there when you switch back. Phading is correct though that when working within the same bank, your part edits are retained.

Thanks a lot man, I did not know that and that is actually very useful to know
Goomba
So are the following correct?:

1. Saving a project "As new", "Backup point" and "Sync to card" all do not save arrangements and parts, but they do save banks and patterns. 

2. Altered arrangements and parts always have to be saved separately when going to another bank or project. 
Re:OT: Saving procedure 12 Years, 8 Months ago
SO, the OT is here for a week and i´m totally lost

Is it possible to save Pattern/ A01, A02, A03 all with different Machines and Sounds assigned, like on MD/MnM?

I´m on pattern A01 do my Beats and Synths, save all. Switch to the next one and there are the same machines and samples assigned, if i change one of them, it changed in the first pattern too...

Help!
Re:OT: Saving procedure 12 Years, 8 Months ago
maass wrote:
SO, the OT is here for a week and i´m totally lost

Is it possible to save Pattern/ A01, A02, A03 all with different Machines and Sounds assigned, like on MD/MnM?

I´m on pattern A01 do my Beats and Synths, save all. Switch to the next one and there are the same machines and samples assigned, if i change one of them, it changed in the first pattern too...

Help!

this! I'm running between work and other duties, and am guilty of not reading the manual enough times, but this simple thing I can't seem to work either. In fact I often wish the OT used the simple patterns/kits like the MD, just to lessen the load of trying to concretisize (is that a word?) the abstract of the OT structure
Go to top Post Reply