As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:OT Pickup Machine (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT Pickup Machine
Re:OT Pickup Machine 11 Years, 10 Months ago
Is everyone finding that a midi pedal board is pretty well required, especially for the live recording of bass/guitar. Any advice on which boards to use? This update is quite immense, it's almost another machine (no pun intended)
  The topic has been locked.
Behringer make great midi pedals. They aren't too expensive either. I was playing round with my Alesis drum pad last night and found it to be a lot of fun.
Goomba
I Have been trying to get a Behringer fcb1010 midi pedal to control the pickup engine. . I may be repeating previous comments but here's what I found:
I Cant clear loop via Midi
I cant switch direction of loop, or overdub/replace either (I prefer to use hold behaviour for now)

Is there a way of controlling the rotary dials per page via midi that I'm missing?

Undo would be handy.
Also it would be nice to have an option for Loop Autostart via input level (in conjuction with gate?)

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction..

What i do like is that the loop can be really short if using hold mode with a short tap, like the digitech DL Delay Looper. Nice!

Finally, What does COMBO signify. I cant see any explanation in the manual. It seems to duplicate A/B on the Behringer
Boo
To control the params (like direction), check out page 39 of the OS1.2 readme file (the actual full mapping is in Appendix C of the OT 1.00 manual, but this chart works for the main page). You need to send MIDI CC #17 (playback param #2) with different values to change the direction.

I haven't figured out a way to clear a loop yet either. Replace isn't exactly the best since you're hearing the leftover audio while you record silence.

idle thought - I wonder if you can mute the track and record into it while it's muted. If you have the DIR AB set to 127 (or whatever), you might still hear what you're playing.

Overdub with trig=Hold should be able to be accomplished by setting a pedal to send out MIDI note 61 (C#). You should set it to send note ON when you press and note OFF when you release the pedal. So you press and hold to record and release the pedal to go into Play mode. To overdub, theoretically you just do that again and while you hold down the pedal, it should overdub. According to the release notes Replace is not possible (they suggest dropping the gain to -INF, basically recording a loop of silence). To mess with gain, send MIDI CC #20 (playback param #5).

No idea about Combo - I keep meaning to ask. **I think** it means record from all sources set up in the first Rec page (versus only AB, only CD, only SRC3), but I'm not sure.
Goomba
Thats great info OGG.Thanks!
Goomba
studying with quadrinity.
my tunes
the dreammer wrote:
Hector was fun...

we need hector again
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
I suspect we'll get some additional Pickup features (undo, clear, feedback) in 1.21.
Cappy
S_K_ wrote:
I suspect we'll get some additional Pickup features (undo, clear, feedback) in 1.21.

doesn't the gain parameter act as feedback?
Boo
Ok, some more data for you all. I've been using a MIDI keyboard (no pedals here) and all discussions of commands pertain to MIDI commands, not the front panel buttons REC AB, REC CD, Start, Stop. Most of this matches the manual. I'll tend to use C# (note #61) which corresponds to the REC AB button. Adjust to your specific input(s) accordingly.

So, as discussed above, if Trig=HOLD, you can send a C# (note 61) and hold it down to record, release it to change to play, hold it down again to overdub, etc.

Note - if you rapidly press, hold for a second or so and release and keep doing that, some nice stuttering, glitching effects can be obtained since you keep transitioning between overdub and play.

Next, if Trig=ONE a press and release of MIDI note C# will start the recording of a pickup machine. Another Press and release of C# will restart recording.

If Trig=ONE2, a press and release of C# will start recording and pressing and releasing C# a second time will go into overdub mode (and change your number of steps and tempo if you transition before the end of the original loop).

For both ONE and ONE2, if you are in Play and send a C#, the pickup machine will transition to overdub. At that point (with either triger mode), sending a C# again switches from overdub to replace (and replace to overdub if you send yet another C#).

If your direction is set to PingPong, one complete pass is still considered as counting from step 1 to step n (and not 1 to n plus n to 1).

More fun things - you can change the TRIG mode while you are recording/overdubbing/playing. This means you can use ONE or ONE2 to get a precise loop, change to HOLD and then overdub bits and pieces to your heart's content and not worry about messing with the tempo or length or anything.

As I guessed above, if you have direct monitoring of AB (or CD) set to a non-zero value, you can mute the track and still hear your source. So, while there's no quick way to clear a loop, you can mute the track, replace the loop and then unmute it. It takes a bit more planning, but if you have pedals or another decent MIDI controller, you can program multiple note/CC commands to be sent on a single press/release of a pedal or button.

So, you'd need to look up the command to mute the particular track (MIDI CC 49, 0 = Unmute, 1->127 = Mute I think), send a Play command note E (MIDI 64), send two C#'s in a row (go into overdub then into replace) and then after replacing, either let the loop switch to overdub or jump to play mode. (or maybe it would be easier to send 2 Play/Stop commands (E MIDI #64) in a row to stop the pickup machine and then a single AB (C# number 61) so that you'd guarantee starting at the beginning).

Since you can still hear the source, you don't have dead air or glitches happening, and if you're extremely clever, you can send the loop out Cue so you can hear the loop in the headphones before unmuting the track.

Direction control via MIDI - MIDI CC#17 controls the direction parameter. Value 0 = reverse, Value 1 = PingPong, Value 2 = Forward. Values 3->127 also = Forward.

I think that should be enough MIDI info to keep you busy this weekend.
oldgearguy wrote:
Ok, some more data for you all. I've been using a MIDI keyboard (no pedals here) and all discussions of commands pertain to MIDI commands, not the front panel buttons REC AB, REC CD, Start, Stop. Most of this matches the manual. I'll tend to use C# (note #61) which corresponds to the REC AB button. Adjust to your specific input(s) accordingly.

So, as discussed above, if Trig=HOLD, you can send a C# (note 61) and hold it down to record, release it to change to play, hold it down again to overdub, etc.

Note - if you rapidly press, hold for a second or so and release and keep doing that, some nice stuttering, glitching effects can be obtained since you keep transitioning between overdub and play.

Next, if Trig=ONE a press and release of MIDI note C# will start the recording of a pickup machine. Another Press and release of C# will restart recording.

If Trig=ONE2, a press and release of C# will start recording and pressing and releasing C# a second time will go into overdub mode (and change your number of steps and tempo if you transition before the end of the original loop).

For both ONE and ONE2, if you are in Play and send a C#, the pickup machine will transition to overdub. At that point (with either triger mode), sending a C# again switches from overdub to replace (and replace to overdub if you send yet another C#).

If your direction is set to PingPong, one complete pass is still considered as counting from step 1 to step n (and not 1 to n plus n to 1).

More fun things - you can change the TRIG mode while you are recording/overdubbing/playing. This means you can use ONE or ONE2 to get a precise loop, change to HOLD and then overdub bits and pieces to your heart's content and not worry about messing with the tempo or length or anything.

As I guessed above, if you have direct monitoring of AB (or CD) set to a non-zero value, you can mute the track and still hear your source. So, while there's no quick way to clear a loop, you can mute the track, replace the loop and then unmute it. It takes a bit more planning, but if you have pedals or another decent MIDI controller, you can program multiple note/CC commands to be sent on a single press/release of a pedal or button.

So, you'd need to look up the command to mute the particular track (MIDI CC 49, 0 = Unmute, 1->127 = Mute I think), send a Play command note E (MIDI 64), send two C#'s in a row (go into overdub then into replace) and then after replacing, either let the loop switch to overdub or jump to play mode. (or maybe it would be easier to send 2 Play/Stop commands (E MIDI #64) in a row to stop the pickup machine and then a single AB (C# number 61) so that you'd guarantee starting at the beginning).

Since you can still hear the source, you don't have dead air or glitches happening, and if you're extremely clever, you can send the loop out Cue so you can hear the loop in the headphones before unmuting the track.

Direction control via MIDI - MIDI CC#17 controls the direction parameter. Value 0 = reverse, Value 1 = PingPong, Value 2 = Forward. Values 3->127 also = Forward.

I think that should be enough MIDI info to keep you busy this weekend.

deadly skillz! ^^^^^^^^^^ thanks!
Go to top Post Reply