As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Machinedrum 'classic' power supply - help! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Machinedrum 'classic' power supply - help!
Goomba
Machinedrum 'classic' power supply - help! 16 Years, 1 Month ago
Hi there, this is my first post on the forum so please go easy on me

I've taken delivery of a Machinedrum MkI today, however no power supply was included (i did know this in advance). What I didn't know was how difficult it would be to find a replacement that matches the specs of an original psu! I've been trying to find the following with very little success:

- 6v
- AC/AC
- 2800ma (or 2.8a)

Are there any classic users out there who can point me in the right direction for a suitable alternative? Is anyone using a non-Elektron psu? Hopefully someone can advise, as my MD is sat behind me making a sad face, similar to the one I'm making I'm in the UK by the way.

On a side note, I've dipped in and out of the E-U forum from time to time over the past few months, seething with jealousy mostly... you seem like a helpful and friendly bunch, so it's nice to finally be here as an MD owner... albeit one that's lacking a power supply for now *sob*

Cheers!
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
tIB was here
Re:Machinedrum 'classic' power supply - help! 16 Years, 1 Month ago
You could try this:

http://www.rubadub.co.uk/?node_id=1.6&id=443&moreDetails=1

though youd have to check its classic...
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Novamusik.com has them for $20 as well.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
Goomba
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Now here's a potentially daft question - will using an AC/DC psu (with the correct voltage and ampage) be ok, or will it do really bad things to my md? What are the implications of using that over an AC/AC psu? I'm no expert in electrical current, but I'm reaching my wits end as surely the elektron-branded mkI psu can't be the only usable psu out there?
Admin
tIB was here
Im no electrician but personally I most definately would not do that.
A fried beatbox is an unhappy beatbox.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Yes, Elektron boxes are known to act weird when they have power issues, so you definitely want to ONLY get an Elektron approved power supply. But as the links above show, there's quite a few places out there to do so, and it's not too expensive.
Cappy
you definitely needs AC, and will not work with DC...

my second hand MD came with a non-Elektron 9V AC 1500mA PSU which works just fine...(as the AC is rectified and regulated to DC inside the MD, so voltage is not as sensitive as with DC supplies)...
Goomba
Good news - I contacted Elektron directly and they are sending me a 'classic' power supply. After trawling the web, I had actually located a 6v AC/AC running a maximum of 1000mA at an electronics store near me. It does work, but I will probably use it as a backup once the proper psu turns up.

Great customer support from Elektron, although I'm sure you guys already knew that Thanks for all your helpful suggestions too.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
bosbos wrote:
Good news - I contacted Elektron directly and they are sending me a 'classic' power supply. After trawling the web, I had actually located a 6v AC/AC running a maximum of 1000mA at an electronics store near me. It does work, but I will probably use it as a backup once the proper psu turns up.

Great customer support from Elektron, although I'm sure you guys already knew that Thanks for all your helpful suggestions too.

what, they were out the last time I asked
I think I'll ask again, I'm sick of having a step-down transformer...
Go to top Post Reply