As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:New Monomachine Machine Explanations? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:New Monomachine Machine Explanations?
Game & Watch
New Monomachine Machine Explanations? 15 Years, 9 Months ago
I read the new manual and still don't quite understand...since I'm a blockhead when it comes to anything other than subtractive analog style synthesis. Does the MnM come full of userwaves already? If so, what types od sounds are included? The double draw sounds cool...since it sounds like it allows you to mix two userwaves together...is that accurate? Any help would be appreciated.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:New Monomachine Machine Explanations? 15 Years, 9 Months ago
Ok come on, was the question really that bad? Now I'm embarrassed.
Killer Beez
Looking at the MnM manual Elektron explains very little how the DoubleDraw works. It seems to have same kind of rationalization as with FM-machines; you don't really need to know how stuff works technically, great sounds can be achieved by trying things out (which is so true with FM-machines). So you are not asking anything stupid. I would love to hear a little more technical explanation from Elektron also.

As I've understood MnM comes with bunch of wave-cycles. I don't know what they are (I dont have MKII), but I can imagine they expand the core-tone of MnM quite nicely. So far I've heard some excellent digital sounds that remind me of FM-tones, but are more thick or complex. More traditional synthsounds seems to be available also, but I like the 'future digital' -stuff best.
Game & Watch
That is what I'm hoping for Toni, but I just don't want to upgrade and find out that I really don't care about these new functions. My MnM has been with me for over 3 years and is the only thing I have never sold and never thought about selling. However, if I can get some more machines that do nice bass sounds, I can't resist. However, I think the Jomox 888 is first, so I have time to think.
Admin
jsrockit wrote:
Does the MnM come full of userwaves already? If so, what types od sounds are included?

Yes, the MKII 1.20 update brings the new functionality of the Digi Ensemble and Draw machines and included are waveforms. The waveforms are preloaded by default. So you can replace them with your own sound but can't delete them from memory. Confused? Ok, so the defaults are always there. You can overwrite a waveform by uploading your own, but if you delete your uploaded waveform the default will take it's place. The slots are never empty essentially.

The waves included:
SINE
HSIN (high frequecy modulated sine...no clue)
TRI
ZOID (nice grit but lots of boom. great for baselines and kicks)
SQR
SAW
ISAW
RND
> Synth waves
SYN1 (synthish tone)
SYN2 (" " w/ heavier body)
SYN3 (" " w/ more mid range)
SYN4 (variation of the above)
SYN5 (very cutting)
SYN6 (variation)
SYN7 (brighter, highs and mids pronounced)
SYN8 (even more highs and mids pronounced)
> All the organs are really rad. lot's of character for use in any kind of music me thinks
ORG1
ORG2
ORG3
ORG4
ORG5
ORG6
ORG7
ORG8
ORG9
ORGA
ORGB
ORGC
ORGD
>Electric Piano/Rhode'ish. Unconvinced at first but with some filters and EQ'ing these sound great
EP1
EP2
EP3
>Strings. I have used these but not as strings.
STR1
STR2
STR3
STR4
STR5
STR6
STR7
STR8
> Winds. Again, not using as winds, but rad nonetheless.
WND1
WND2
WND3
WND4
WND5
WND6
WND7
WND8
> Vocal waves.
MAL A
MAL O
MAL U
MAL a (another a but sounds different)
MAL E
MAL I
MAL a ( " ")
MAL M
FEM A
FEM O
FEM U
FEM a ( "")
FEM E
FEM I
FEM a ("")
FEM M

-------------

Hopefully I haven't forgotten any. There should be 64, as there is 64 slots. Many, many usable defaults but the love of the new update is that if you don't use or like some of the defaults you can replace them in a non-destructive way.

The double draw sounds cool...since it sounds like it allows you to mix two userwaves together...is that accurate?

Yes, the double draw machine will allow you to mix waveforms. You don't have to mix them thought. There is a mixer so you can set how much you do or don't want your wave mixing. There is a Time parameter allowing to determine how quickly the two are interpolated (mixed over time). Width sets the pitch difference between the two. It's a very cool machine. Loads of sonic possibilities. Plus, you can then use the LFO's to even get freaky with it.

I think the Digi Ensemble is kinda getting slept on though. While it only has one loadable waveform, it does have the PCH2, PCH3 and PCH4 + the Chorus which gives you poly like character and enormously big pads and that whole mess.

This is a huge update to me. I think it really opens up the sonic palette. I'm getting deeper basses, bigger pads, and all around lusher sounds with more body. Which isn't something the MnM by default is known for. I should add that to really get the full benefit of waveforms it takes some sound shaping lovin'. Meaning, the more you dig into them the more rewarding they are. This is true for any MnM machine but there are lots of nuances in these waveforms. For some this maybe like, "oh, that's pretty cool but whatever", as maybe it doesn't click for them or waves aren't there thing (check to see if they have a heartbeat if this is the case) There is some much needed balance to a often brittle and digital synth here. It's still the powerful beast we know and love but these new machines definitely add more character & body unfound before.

Myself and other have made some demos using the new machines. I did this one in the first 3 hours. I was dumbfounded to get these sounds so quickly. the pad and kick alone we're just treats to my ears when i made them. this is from only the new machines: http://elektron-users.com/examples/mnm_erly.mp3

Battery Collection, How Dragons..., and Paalaapa also have nice demos.

I hope this helps.
Boo
This was an incredible update. For me, what makes it so great is NOT the fact that you can load your own waves (although that is cool), but the fact that the DoubleDraw and Ensemble instruments are so versatile and lush sounding. The only other synth update I can think of that was close to this was OS 2 for the Virus TI.

Yes, it comes with waves preloaded, and IMHO the selection is already good enough that you probably don't even want to bother loading your own ....
Game & Watch
konkrete wrote:

Yes, it comes with waves preloaded, and IMHO the selection is already good enough that you probably don't even want to bother loading your own ....

That's what I was hoping for... looks like I'll have to update. Nice little ditty actuel...and for the huge explanation. That is what I needed. Goddamn, now I have to deal with getting two new machines.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
any chance to download the new waves in .wav format? for the MD or something?
Admin
hageir wrote:

hopefully someone else can. limited time here. the waves by themselves sound good but as with any waveform it's the treatment that really brings these guys to life.
Game & Watch
hageir wrote:

Just update you cheap ass... (says the hypocrite as he stresses over selling his MKI, getting $400-500 more $s, and upgrading himself).
Go to top Post Reply