As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear PSEUDO sidechaining on MD (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: PSEUDO sidechaining on MD
#72496
Hammer Bro
Posts: 724
MD MKII 10th Anniversary Edition
Monomachine MKII
Facebook Page
PSEUDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
Ok, so you can't do an ACTUAL sidechain INSIDE the MD.

But, you can get close TO THE SOUND of it

1. go to the DYN area in the MASTER FX

2. set the ATCK around 9 o'clock.
we want to have a fast attack, fast to the left - slow to the right.

3. set the REL somewhere close to 1 or 2 o'clock.
we want a quick release of the compressor, fast to the left - slow to the right.

4. set the TRHD somewhere around 11 o'clock, maybe more on the 1 o'clock side.
we want a moderate threshold, low threshold to the left - high to the right.

5. set the RTIO to around 3 o'clock
we want a good-sized ratio rate the compressor works on.
1:1 ratio - all the way left, 1:256 ratio all the way left.
usually you want somewhere in a 4-16:1 ratio on your compressor to have
a drastic effect (one you can distinctly hear).

6. set the KNEE all the way left.
we want a hard knee, hard to the left - soft to the right

7. set the HP around 7 or 8 o'clock.
we want to let some, but not all of the high frequencies through
no high pass all the way left, all high pass all the way right.

8. ok, compare compressed sound with non-compressed sound.
you can do this from here by using the MIX setting.
uncompressed - all the way right
compressed - all the way left

9. based on what you hear, raise the OUTG to give you a relative volume match
when compressed to when it's uncompressed.

That's it...now this isn't a true sidechain. That would have to allow for a specific
signal to effect the compressor. Instead, we're setting the compressor to react to low and loud sounds first and fast!

With these settings you'll probably notice the bass drop a little, but that's because it's working. We want to have the kick hit - but not drown out the other frequencies.

This is what sidechaining is supposed to do. In the case of deadmau5, eric prydz, etc...they've exaggerated the effect and you get the pronounced ducking sound.

I may have made some errors, so please say I'm wrong?!!?

peace
  The topic has been locked.
#72501
Cappy
Posts: 112
0
Re:PSUEDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
Perhaps you should mention, that this only works well when not having any bassline running on the MD, especially between the kicks, that would destroy the effect and result in a muddy sound...

for the rest, im also doing it this way, but one should play with the settings, the effect depends on the kit and how the sequence is composed. sometimes its very nice to have some hihats with long decay (i like the efm-cc for that) and then kick in the bassdrum!
  The topic has been locked.
#72502
Hammer Bro
Posts: 724
MD MKII 10th Anniversary Edition
Monomachine MKII
Facebook Page
Re:PSUEDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
certainly...these are not in stone...all values are to be tweaked to your own taste.

i wish i had everything figured out!

Yes, based on my settings a long decay bassline or other low frequency sounds
will cause a muddy sound....but then you can then alter the dynamics based on this.....another reason to cut low frequencies when they are not necessary.

peace
  The topic has been locked.
#72504
Killer Beez
Posts: 1128
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
Re:PSUEDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
johnathon doe wrote:

7. set the HP around 7 or 8 o'clock.
we want to let some, but not all of the high frequencies through


I think you mean 'low frequencies' here. Also - isn't this just 'compression' - the compressor is reacting to the loudest sounds in the mix, which could be the kick in this case. This will make the mix pump, but that's a different thing altogether.

I don't know about you, but I find that the MD compressor distorts pretty horribly when it's compressing low-frequency material with a fast release - it's good for gentle control, but I usually just use it as a safety, rather than as an acutal dynamics tool.
  The topic has been locked.
#72510
Re:PSUEDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
GeneralBigBag wrote:
johnathon doe wrote:

7. set the HP around 7 or 8 o'clock.
we want to let some, but not all of the high frequencies through


I think you mean 'low frequencies' here. Also - isn't this just 'compression' - the compressor is reacting to the loudest sounds in the mix, which could be the kick in this case. This will make the mix pump, but that's a different thing altogether.

I don't know about you, but I find that the MD compressor distorts pretty horribly when it's compressing low-frequency material with a fast release - it's good for gentle control, but I usually just use it as a safety, rather than as an acutal dynamics tool.


^Truf.
  The topic has been locked.
#72512
Hammer Bro
Posts: 724
MD MKII 10th Anniversary Edition
Monomachine MKII
Facebook Page
Re:PSUEDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
heckadecimal wrote:
GeneralBigBag wrote:
johnathon doe wrote:

7. set the HP around 7 or 8 o'clock.
we want to let some, but not all of the high frequencies through


I think you mean 'low frequencies' here. Also - isn't this just 'compression' - the compressor is reacting to the loudest sounds in the mix, which could be the kick in this case. This will make the mix pump, but that's a different thing altogether.

I don't know about you, but I find that the MD compressor distorts pretty horribly when it's compressing low-frequency material with a fast release - it's good for gentle control, but I usually just use it as a safety, rather than as an acutal dynamics tool.


^Truf.


yes, like i said it's not ACTUAL sidechain, but it gives a pseudo effect that people are trying to achieve these days.

original post edited to reflect wording

and the HP is something you can use to taste very much. it DOES effect high frequency.
higher settings allow more of the high frequency through the compressor without effect.

I agree that if you have a short ATCK and try to put the REL less than 12 o'clock it REALLY distorts.

If you get distortion, try lengthening the ATCK and make sure the REL is on the right side of 12 o'clock.

peace
  The topic has been locked.
#72521
Chain Chomp
Posts: 521
Dubby music & free samples
http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
Re:PSEUDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
regarding distortion when compressing low freq sounds, in my experience that's pretty normal when you use attack/release times shorter than the actual wavelenght of the sound itself.
It's not just the MD...
As a rule of thumb, always use longer values when compressing bass drums and bass sounds.
  The topic has been locked.
#72522
King Koopa
Posts: 273
www.soundcloud.ch/opuswerk
www.opuswerk.ch

Kit:
MD MKII UW
Vermona MonoLancet
Vermona Retroverb MKI
uWave XT
MKS70
Strymon El Capistan
NI Maschine
Re:PSEUDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
How I do it, sidechaining with the MD is to use the LFO of the kick to affect the VOL of the element I want to sidechain, which is usually the bass. But this can also be done using other sounds, like the hihats influencing a shaker line for example, also try having it affect the filter. Sidechaining really is about setting up an fx chain, where one sound will trigger a compressor, a filter or a gate of another element of the track.

I haven't tried what you propose yet, so I'm not sure as to how it does actually sound. But from my experience I wouldn't do it in such a way as it'd more muddy up the low-end than anything else...
  The topic has been locked.
#72523
Killer Beez
Posts: 1218
Re:PSEUDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
Another way to play with dynamics:

1. Take your regular MD pattern
2. Add CTRL-EQ machine
3. Route LFO to EQ-GAIN, with exponential curve inversed
4. Program trigs all over the pattern to make it sway

  The topic has been locked.
#72524
Admin
Posts: 7925
tIB was here
Re:PSEUDO sidechaining on MD 9 Years, 11 Months ago
Ive added this to the wiki here: http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=43&id=compressor

Any editting needs doing go ahead and change it...

BTW I would really encourage any additions to the wiki... things like this where a detail of the machines are clearly outlined are perfect.
  The topic has been locked.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop

Login Form

start Player