As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT Problem with recording (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT Problem with recording
Goomba
OT Problem with recording 13 Years, 2 Months ago
OT is my first Elektron beast and I'm trying to tame it.. I've got my head around basics but recording has been unsuccessful.. I cant seem to sample from internal tracks or the master. When recording from the external AB inputs I get a very faint and random playback just once or not at all.. It's not a usable result and wandering if anybody had the same experience..
Following the manual, I've tried every recording option from the record menu to the track recording menus.. I did a system reset right after a few good tries and still not much going on terms of recording.. At first I thought I was broken, but now I'm beginning to point towards mister OT..
So I guess first can somebody tell me the simple steps in recording from external AB inputs after a system reset?

Thanx and I hope I'm missing something dumb... G

PS: I know the real manual is in the works but the one sent to us is confusing..
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:OT Problem with recording 13 Years, 2 Months ago
function+record to enter recorder setup page, now u can set recorder trigs. while holding the trig you can enable/disable any of the a/b,c/d, or MIDI(internal) inputs for that trig, you can tell because they will be lit up as well as highlighted.
Cappy
This took me a while to figure out as well.
Holding the trig down while selecting input source is the way to go.

However, I am still struggling with low volume. I find I have to normalize the sample after sampling. Is there a setting for this?
Goomba
Yep did that and a lot more like setting up the track with a FLEX machine etc.. I'm getting faint out of time repeat once and its different every time.. weird! Anyone else have issues recording?
Cappy
MD UW MKII, MNM MKII, OT DPS-1, A4
I did the same problem...
You have to hold down the "record AB" button first and then "track" button !
Goomba
The strange thing is that the audio is at a very low level and it sounds nothing like what I'm sampling.. What gives?
Cappy
MD UW MKII, MNM MKII, OT DPS-1, A4
Go to the "Mixer page" and choose higher values of DIR and GAIN parameters for InAB or InCD
Cappy
I don´t think that´s going to help with the internal recording?
Or is it?
Goomba
Ok so there is progress.. I got some sampling done from external inputs.. Still everything is a bit in the dark and by making same choices in the menus a few times I get some kind of looping going on.. It's unpredictable but at least its something..
After normalizing it almost there.. but the recording thing is a bit of voodoo.. I mean at times it works at times it doesn't..
Thanx for the tip on the gain stage but I'm still having issues with it.. The sound is at a good level, but recordings are weak, so boosting the gains will make the input too loud.. Any thoughts on this? And does anyone practice some kind of machine exorcism? Or just some bug spray...
Game & Watch
It seems that the inputs have a very wide range, I found that for line level stuff turning up the input gains in the mixer gives a decent level. Then I just turn up the voulume a bit in the amp page to bring it up to the level of the other tracks.

The good thing about this is for hot signals like from a modular or MD there is enough headroom, but it does mean for weaker signals a bit of gain is needed.
Go to top Post Reply