As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT - effects discussion (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT - effects discussion
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
OT - effects discussion 13 Years ago
I love the OT to bits. As I've said before, I am so glad I chose to ditch Live and get the OT.

The one thing I'm not 'feeling' at the moment is the OT's FX. The delay and flanger are OK - nothing special, but they do a job. The filter is the best of the bunch.

But everything else just isn't doing it for me. The chorus and phaser don't seem to have much effect on anything I use. I can't hear the effect much at all, even on extreme settings. And I'm struggling to get a decent sound using the EQs, compressor, or reverb.

I'm sure all this is user error - maybe I just need more time experimenting?
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
Re:OT - effects discussion 13 Years ago
well, the Chorus was really cool/unique at one point. so much for that...
gliiitches wrote:
I love the OT to bits. As I've said before, I am so glad I chose to ditch Live and get the OT.

The one thing I'm not 'feeling' at the moment is the OT's FX. The delay and flanger are OK - nothing special, but they do a job. The filter is the best of the bunch.

But everything else just isn't doing it for me. The chorus and phaser don't seem to have much effect on anything I use. I can't hear the effect much at all, even on extreme settings. And I'm struggling to get a decent sound using the EQs, compressor, or reverb.

I'm sure all this is user error - maybe I just need more time experimenting?

you can't...hear the chorus ?
damn...not sure what to tell you..what kind of sounds are you running through it?

it seems to work best with high end sounds, shakers, hats, vocals etc.

it will turn the smallest shaker into a wall of lush mushy sound, and then right down to tuned screaming notes..not sure how one would not "hear" it.

the weakest of the bunch for me is the compressor, Elektron haven't gotten that right yet.
and the reverb is a bit "tame"
Killer Beez
Yeah, the comp doesn't do it for me. Haven't gelled with the EQ's or the LO-FI yet either. The reverb seems decent to my ears..
Otherwise I use the filter for almost everything to the point where I wish it was a fixed item and I had two more FX blocks.
I'm sure we will see lots of improvements/additions to the FX over time..
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I know the OS isn't finished and Elektron have made a big point about more FX being added in the future.

Re. the chorus & phaser - I've ran a load of different sounds through them. I just can't 'hear' the usual effects you'd associate with them. Y'know, the kind of 'watery' effect that a chorus produces or the 'sweeping' sound of a phaser. By contrast, I can definately hear the 'metallic' sound I'd expect from a flanger.

Maybe it's my ears!
N_Rain wrote:
Yeah, the comp doesn't do it for me. Haven't gelled with the EQ's or the LO-FI yet either. The reverb seems decent to my ears..
Otherwise I use the filter for almost everything to the point where I wish it was a fixed item and I had two more FX blocks.
I'm sure we will see lots of improvements/additions to the FX over time..

regarding the lo-fi, i've been using it a lot lot lot on basslines, assigning the Dist and bit reduction to a scene, cutting the kick, and you got some exreme dirty bass fills...love it!

the amp mod doesnt do it for me though, maybe cause i've had my MD for a long time, and don't feel like hearing any more amp mod for a while
gliiitches wrote:
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I know the OS isn't finished and Elektron have made a big point about more FX being added in the future.

Re. the chorus & phaser - I've ran a load of different sounds through them. I just can't 'hear' the usual effects you'd associate with them. Y'know, the kind of 'watery' effect that a chorus produces or the 'sweeping' sound of a phaser. By contrast, I can definately hear the 'metallic' sound I'd expect from a flanger.

Maybe it's my ears!

yeah i agree with the phaser...a bit disappointing..
to me though, the chorus was made to process organic percussion! i've never heard a chorus get to that mushy sound before, i love it!
Cappy
I actually really love the OT compressor and EQ's...Ive been getting great results with both, especially if I use track 8 as a Master.
SeanPrice wrote:
I actually really love the OT compressor and EQ's...Ive been getting great results with both, especially if I use track 8 as a Master.

mm, haven't used the comp on track 8 yet...cool, that's probably the best way to use it to get more "pumping" results.

the EQ is quite cool sounding when boosting, it has the same "hollow" and punchy quality as the filters I find.
I would have to agree though, we need the filter as standard, and 2 more effects per track!
Boo
I like all the effects enough to use my OT as my only external effects device (for now). It's no Eventide but it gets the job done for my broke ass
Go to top Post Reply