As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music Neil Baldwin - nooneFindsYouFunny (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Neil Baldwin - nooneFindsYouFunny
Neil Baldwin - nooneFindsYouFunny 12 Years, 9 Months ago
http://soundcloud.com/neilbaldwin/noonefindsyoufunny

Little experiment to see if I could, with the help of the Octatrack, synthesis an entire palette of sounds and loops with the Chimera BC16.

Everything you hear comes from the BC16. I'd set up all the patch cords for one sound, trigger it via OT's MIDI and then sample it into the OT, then move onto another track/sound - pulling all the cords out of the BC16 to start again from scratch for the next sound.

Recorded into live to apply a bit of virtual mastering. Patterns 'played' live on the OT (I made a little mistake but it's not worth recording again).
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
tIB was here
Re:Neil Baldwin - nooneFindsYouFunny 12 Years, 9 Months ago

Now imagine doing that without having to repatch for each sound... you know the way!
Chain Chomp
Great sounds!
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
This is great!
Goomba
This is really good!!
Admin
You've squeezed a lot out of that little synth! This track proves something that I personally think many people tend to forget these days; you don't need a lot of gear to make great music.
Admin
tIB was here
^ you are right of course, though I have a feeling neils gear pile might be about to grow considerably...
Killer Beez
Very nice!

How does the Octa work with this sort of use? Is it quick to work with or do you have to edit, cut and set things much after sampling? I haven't payed attention with recent OS development and I'm wondering when Octa will be ready for quick and creative sampling.
Admin
Toni wrote:
How does the Octa work with this sort of use? Is it quick to work with or do you have to edit, cut and set things much after sampling? I haven't payed attention with recent OS development and I'm wondering when Octa will be ready for quick and creative sampling.

In my little experience, that depends on your sample. It's easy editing rhythmic samples if they're locked to a grid, since you can auto-slice the various hits, and p-lock slices. Especially if you're using the OT sequencer to control the unit you're sampling, it flowa well. If the timing is irregular there's more work involved in finding the right spots. LIke with any sampler, really. The p-lockable start parameter isn't detailed enough to find exact transients in longer samples (only 128 steps).

Auto-detection of zero-amplitude cut points is a great and time-saving feature.

In general I find the screen useable for sample editing, and scrolll and zoom functions work sell. Inevitably though, not as detailed and convenient as a PC screen.
I pretty much did no sample editing for this particular piece. Just sequenced everything on the OT and sampled 32 step chunks (with the BC16 slaved via MIDI so that the arpeggiator on it matched the tempo of the OT playback).

I tweaked stuff a little - adding p-locks here and there to manipulate the playback of the chunks of BC16 audio.

Work flow was super fast on the OT - it was pulling out (and replugging) the patch cords on the BC16 which was the fiddliest bit.

One-shot recording triggers are definitely one of the most powerful (in useful terms) of the OT - especially the trick of keeping the Track button and YES held down. Was really easy to tweak the BC16 while doing that until I had exactly the loop I wanted. Let go of the buttons and it's in the bag. Brilliant
Go to top Post Reply