As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Wrapping my head around the OT (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Wrapping my head around the OT
Chain Chomp
Wrapping my head around the OT 12 Years, 7 Months ago
Okay, okay, this thing is way more complext than the MD or MM....I am trying to figure out how some parts fit together. I understand that Set can contain Projects and that Projects contain Banks, and each each Bank contains Patterns (16 of them). Now, In know what to do with Patterns, You can link them together to make songs, or to play patterns that are the same but with slight alterations in sounds because of P-Locks and all. However, I am fuzzy on Parts and Scenes.

Do I understand corrrectly that I can have 16 different Scenes of same Pattern in Part 1, and another 16 Scenes of the that same Pattern in Part 2?

How do I use all this optimally?
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Wrapping my head around the OT 12 Years, 7 Months ago
I would see the Parts as Kits as in MD and MNM

A Part contains the settings(parameters and effects) and the samples assigned to each track + 16 scenes configuration. There are 4 Parts in each bank. So you need to spread out the usage of parts within a bank.

When I first started, I used first part for the first 4 patterns, second part for the second 4 patterns and so on. After some practice I realized that you can achieve a lot of things with parameter locks and this greatly enhances how to make the most out of parts
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Hi Dataline, are your parts slight variations of each other, just like patterns are slight variations of each other? Or do you basically have part 1 (for pattern 1,2,3,4) followed by a completely different part 2 (pattern 5,6,7,8)? I'm trying to get an arrangement workflow for the OT, and as r05c03 noted in his post, it's quite a complex machine. I've mostly been jamming on it with the cross-fader, but now it's time to get more complex with it.
The way I see it is that each bank on the OT is a tune(track). A tune will have 16 patterns, very similar to scenes on ableton. So pattern A1 will be the intro, A2 will be varied version of A1 with a beat on top and so on. While I am building the track in this method, I will come to a point where I have used all 7 tracks (8 is master always for me). This means that I need to move on to another part with another element thrown in. So I would copy the part into the next part and make alteration to it. This section will be like a drop in a tune. Then build on it again with different part settings.

Hope this makes sense
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Yup, this sounds like a good way to build up a tune. Thanks for the info Dataline!
Chain Chomp
Hmm, maybe I should have gone for a MD UW...I get synthesis...not sure I "get" sampling.
Cappy
@dataline: thanks for your very clear insight! This was exactly the thing I've been struggling with!
King Koopa
Hi guys n gals
I thought I understood the Parts until I've been trying to put a live set together. Frustrated I got in touch with Dataline and he told me what he has said above (thanks Jake)
BUT I would like to know if anyone else has found a work around

Here's my problem : I've got 4 drum loops (sliced), so I want to put Loop1 on track1 A1, Loop2 on track1 A2 etc. When saving to Part1 A1 will play the last loop loaded

Isn't it possible to have all drum loops on one track on one bank (song)?

Does that mean that I'm only restricted to 4 loops (ie saving each loop in each part)?

I suppose I could alternate between 2 tracks but I would prefer to have each track to have a set instrument so I know whats what in a live situation

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Hey Tenchi!

You can trigger different loops on any step by locking different sample to that step...

Does this help??
King Koopa
Hey Jake

Even if the loop is sliced?
Go to top Post Reply