As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack Inputs - Sound Quality (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack Inputs - Sound Quality
King Koopa
Octatrack Inputs - Sound Quality 12 Years, 6 Months ago
Hey everyone

I have been working on a project which I started off on the MD, I have now got the MD running into the OT inputs and the transient peaks of the MD are smoothed out and less prominent. The sound is significantly different without any FX loaded on either FX slot or the T8 master. Is there some kind of limiter permanently running on the inputs of the OT?? There also seems to be some other slight phasing / colouration going on.

Does anyone else find the OT's inputs colour the sound somewhat? It's not necessarily a bad thing btw, but on this occasion I wish the inputs were more transparent.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Octatrack Inputs - Sound Quality 12 Years, 6 Months ago
hmm, make sure you have the DIR on mixer page set to 0 if you are using a THRU machine
King Koopa
Well that sorted out the phasing! Thanks DL

Volume is significantly lower now, need to make some adjustments as the OT doesn't seem to like me making up the gain at the MD end :/

I quite liked the sound that I was getting from the OT with the DIR turned up too, even though it didn't fit with the current project I might have to employ it as a creative method later down the line
You can drive the inputs of the OT quite hard, and I've found some sounds that are gorgeous when killing the inputs

The metering of the inputs is quite approximative, I'd say ..lol
Dalski wrote:
Well that sorted out the phasing! Thanks DL

Volume is significantly lower now, need to make some adjustments as the OT doesn't seem to like me making up the gain at the MD end :/

I quite liked the sound that I was getting from the OT with the DIR turned up too, even though it didn't fit with the current project I might have to employ it as a creative method later down the line

Yes the inputs are not as loud as the internal tracks. To get over this, I always keep the OT's volume around 40 50 and turn down the internal tracks. So that inputs and internal tracks balance up.
Cool thread. The OT offers multiple opportunities for gain staging, Mixer level and gain, input level, amp vol, track level, filter drive, and then lo-fi dist. And each has it's own characteristics. Really amazing.
Yoshi
MDUW MKII + MnM MKII + OT DPS-1
http://soundcloud.com/earsmack
dataline wrote:
Yes the inputs are not as loud as the internal tracks. To get over this, I always keep the OT's volume around 40 50 and turn down the internal tracks. So that inputs and internal tracks balance up.

I need to get better about doing this. Do you find you are able to make it so you can live-sample without having to normalize this way? Or is normalization just a necessary evil?
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Re:Octatrack Inputs - Sound Quality 12 Years, 4 Months ago
New OT owner here, so I'll be dredging up some of these threads again...

I sampled some loops from vinyl the other day and also noticed the significant lower volume level. I've heard before that if you can avoid normalizing (in general when working with audio), it's for the best as it can introduce artifacts.

Allerian mentions the ability to adjust the gain at several stages...what are people finding to be the best "bread and butter" way to just get things sounding louder to match the internal sound level of the OT?
Game & Watch
GYS wrote:
New OT owner here, so I'll be dredging up some of these threads again...

I sampled some loops from vinyl the other day and also noticed the significant lower volume level. I've heard before that if you can avoid normalizing (in general when working with audio), it's for the best as it can introduce artifacts.

Allerian mentions the ability to adjust the gain at several stages...what are people finding to be the best "bread and butter" way to just get things sounding louder to match the internal sound level of the OT?

Re: normalising is bad.

As far as i am concerned this just isn't true.

I'm sure this will cause a heated debate but the don't normalise rule comes from the fact that if you record your signal at a low level, means you've lost bits of resolution, so you shouldn't rely on normalising to solve lazy recording habits... at 24 bits this isn't an issue but at 16 bits, I think it is best to try and get a pretty hot signal. The other downside to normalising means your increasing the volume of the noise in your sample too (s/n ratio could be better)... as that is getting boosted by the same amount.. but again this isn't really about normalising, it is more about getting a good loud signal to sample in the first place. If you didn't normalise but turned up the sample via some other means the net result is the same.. therefore there is nothing wrong with normalising.

Re: getting it loud.

If something isn't loud enough I just up the gain on the amp vol in the amp page. Though I tend to normalise first.
No more worries about the recorded samples sounding lower when the next update arrives

As usual, they have sorted out that issue very well!
Go to top Post Reply