As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT as Looper (?) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT as Looper (?)
Hero of Winds
KIKOSHO FASHO
OT as Looper (?) 12 Years, 6 Months ago
I know that is has been done but I'm not one with the knowledge to do so. I've seen the video that has been posted about this but it wasn't really making sense to me exactly. Really curious about this because I'm looking for an easy way to loop & overdub my non-electronic instruments. So far, the way I know is a headache and doesn't seem to be very quick & intuitive, at least not to me.

At first, I wasn't turned on by the rumored looper-machines but now it makes me hot
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
Re:OT as Looper (?) 12 Years, 6 Months ago
There isn't a LooperMachine in the OT yet, but Elektron have confirmed there will be one by the end of this year, or possibly in 2012.

There is no way to 'overdub' with the OT yet.

What I've been doing is using a looper pedal between my guitar and the OT: get a loop going in the looper pedal, then sample the looper pedal with the OT like you would with any other sound source.
Game & Watch
I'm pretty sure you can set it up to act as a looper already, you would need to configure a midi controller to do it, but I think it is possible, set up your (say 4) tracks with recorder machines, set them up to loop in playback setup, on another track put some kind of metronome/beat, config each of the recorder machine tracks to record from input a/b and src3 to the same track used as well (this will allow overdubs). Then it is a case of assigning your midi controller to arm and playback each track. Anyone tried this?

I have not had a chance to try it yet (not much time lately, bah) but think it might work ok.
Chain Chomp
Glitch.. yawn.
gliiitches wrote:

There is no way to 'overdub' with the OT yet.

It's actually very easy. simply set the sample source to both the track playing back the trig and the sample input. Thats a simple sound on sound set up
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
I've been playing around today with the suggestions above. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't get 'sound on sound' looping using these techniques.

The problem seems to be that every time the sequencer loops around, the audio recorded on the previous 'pass' is erased. There is no way to retain the audio in the track recorder.

With manual sampling this is OK, but you can't really do manual sampling while playing an instrument at the same time. 'One Shot' recorder trigs aren't really the answer for me either.

I think the fact Elektron are looking at implementing a dedicated LooperMachine is an acknowledgement that, in its current form, the OT isn't set-up for traditional 'looping' duties.

I'm sure a dedicated LooperMachine will be better than any other looper out there though - it'll be an Elektron take on the concept.

I'd love to think they will bring out a footpedal for the OT too. They probably wont, but I can dream!
Chain Chomp
Could somebody help me out by describing what we can most likely expect from the Looper Machine.

THX
Chain Chomp
Glitch.. yawn.
gliiitches wrote:
I've been playing around today with the suggestions above. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't get 'sound on sound' looping using these techniques.

The problem seems to be that every time the sequencer loops around, the audio recorded on the previous 'pass' is erased. There is no way to retain the audio in the track recorder.

You must not have been following me correctly. The audio is replaced by a mix of the source sound and the track sound.. Hence sound on sound. I have this all automated, thus, no manual involvement by myself.

1) select track
2) place play trig, turn up amp on track to max vol.
3) set as flex to correct buffer.
4) set one-shot rec trig to sample source AND internal source track number.

Not essential but I do it..

5) Set neighbor track and add a compressor.

Now you have a looper.

Need automation?

Use the arranger.
Game & Watch
In the example I posted above I was not suggesting using the sequencer, but use the trig buttons to play the loops, they latch if loop is on. As I said before in this thread and the other one, for sound on sound you will need to set up the record properties for both input a/b and src3, then use your midi controller to send the notes to trigger both of these inputs, a standard midi footswitch or control surface should handle this easily, negating the need for a dedicated footswitch and adding a lot of flexibility.
King Koopa
electrolegs wrote:
I have this all automated, thus, no manual involvement by myself.

i gladly would like to hear more about your automation.
What unit are you using ?
Boo
I think there's workarounds right now, but none just using one track. a real looper would give you sound on sound recording with feedback and mix controls, all in tempo. Sort of like a long delay with tempo sync but with the feedback loop recording onto itself. I use an echoplex digital pro for looping, or ableton live's looper. tape loops are nice too. I have a RE301 that will do sound on sound. not in sync tho, unless I let it play a long while to overdub itself.

Whenever they come out with a real looper, guitarist's heads will turn. Especially if the OT can be controlled via foot-controller.
Go to top Post Reply