As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear More OT recording madness ;) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: More OT recording madness ;)
King Koopa
More OT recording madness ;) 12 Years, 5 Months ago
After having some extended quality time with my OT over the past few days, and getting the hang of it again, I had two big "WTFuuuuu, ARRRGHHH"-moments I'd like to share with you....

1) I recorded stuff I played manually on my Little Phatty Tribute unto the OT. was jamming along, everything fine. Suddenly the sample I had recorded was replaced with something I just played. Note, I didn't push any recording stuff, nor did I have any trigs set (just one shot recording trigs).

What has happened?

I found out, that one key (the "g", if i remmeber correctly) on the Little Phatty, which doubles as my Midi Keyboard going into the Octatrack starts recording on the OT the moment I press it.

Crazy shit, isn't it?

Anyone else experiencing this?

2) This is even more painful, as I had a really nice jam going on, with some played by hand sequences I had sampled that I definitely would have made into a huge piece of music, if all my sampled tracks hadn't disappeared magically after stopping the OT, and then doing a rolling Stop/Start motion, the way I am used to do it on the MPC.

what has happened?

If you press STOP two times, all your one shot recorder trigs are "armed" again, and kill off all of your old stuff still hanging around in the recorders, once you press play.
This is even mentioned in the manual (first off I thought this is so retarded, that it must be a bug, but no, this behaviour is intended by Elektron).

I know, both of this accidents could have been prevented, if I saved everything the moment I was content with it.

But this behaviour is honestly not what I was buying the Octatrack for.
I wanted a freeflowing creative sampling box. If I have to stop my music creating process with saving stuff all the time, I'd better be off with a MPC.

Stuff like this happening is really killing off my creativity.

Though great on so many accounts, this machine is so awkward when it comes to the whole recording process, it's unbelievable.

I have lost so many good sequences just because some unpredictable shit happens that erases everything I lost count.

Sorry for the rant, but I am just so angry at the moment.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:More OT recording madness ;) 12 Years, 5 Months ago
I've fallen foul of the double Stop thing too. I can see why there's a need for it but the implementation is awkward to say the least.
yeap same here with double stop

Tbh, because of this I don't use oneshot trigs. Placing the REC TRIG and removing it works best for me
King Koopa
dataline wrote:
yeap same here with double stop

Tbh, because of this I don't use oneshot trigs. Placing the REC TRIG and removing it works best for me

Actually I like the one-shot-trigs. It's nice to work with them, and they repaired a very big user interface issue I had with the OT.

But, the fact that I have to take care to not push STOP two times and then PLAY to be sure not to lose all the stuff I recorded over the last half an hour is mindboggling.

Neill is right, it's awkward. I need to be able to START/STOP fast, to align the OT with other stuff playing, jamming around, being in the zone, etc.

Now i know that I have to worry what buttons I push, or lose my work again and again and again...

And, I worry what other freak behaviours that might kill off my work I will encounter in the future. This box seems to be an endless pit where that kind of accident keeps crawling out of endlessly.

tl;dr: I AM PISSED!
Chain Chomp
Same for me here.
I use the oneshot trigs but I am very cautious with the double stop button.
The midi side of trgging the recorder should be revised. Maybe only through the auto channel or having an option to turn it off.
Options are missing from OT. The personalise page should have MANY more lines, I hope guys from electron are reading.
that's annoying. the existing YES button methods seem preferable method to arm the trigs. or at least have a customisation option 'stop-button trigs arm?'
Chain Chomp
Glitch.. yawn.
Yet another thread on sampling workflow. Surprise surprise. Completely agree Steril707, this has happened to me far too many times.. Like last night. Can't believe I lost all my work. Indescribably frustrating.

This is absolute key now for Elektron. It's great to get excited for new features and effects.. But the sampling workflow is broken. I think almost all users can agree that we would like to see a few tweaks made here.

Question.

Why can't we merge 'static machines' and 'flex machines' ??

I've lost what advantage flex holds with all the updates recently.. There must be a few though. I wish we could merge them and simplify the entire thing, it's confusing to manage what is going on over 8 tracks and it's just inconvienent having to chop and change between two playback machines. Although I don't have a OP-1, I have seen its recording workflow. I realize that it's a different beast but Elektron could learn something here.

What would the OT be without the flex slots? Well perhaps that would enable a more streamlined workflow. Perhaps the functionality still required by flex slots could be managed different in a new type of 'hybrid' file managing system / slot setup.. But at least then it would be unified, making life much smoother. Maybe this is crazy talk but something just ain't right here, I'll come back to the basics then.

Simplify workflow.
Sample without stopping music.

And the big one for me personally..
Save all temporary buffers and assign to slot without stopping.( how ever that should work)

End transmission.
Night!
Chain Chomp
T think you have a point here. Since the updates in the static machines I can't also see the any processing advantages for the flex slots unless they come up with new features for them.
I only use now flex slots as extra slots. They have to either update them with new features or make one unified machine with 256 slots.
King Koopa
bauer wrote:
the existing YES button methods seem preferable method to arm the trigs.
for me even that was not.
i absolutely wish to have arm on a keycombination, for shure not on a single press of "yes".
Chain Chomp
Forgot to say that there seem to be a bug when editing in static slots. You cant cross a zero crossing when holding function button. Correct me if I am wrong.
Go to top Post Reply