As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing 12 Years, 5 Months ago
I just got my Octatrack yesterday and Im loving it so far. Just a couple of questions though.

I know about the parameter locks and the sample locks. I was wondering if there was and easy way to have a bunch of different samples associated with each pattern though? Id like each pattern to be able to use totally different samples this doesn't seem easy?

Also how do I set up sample previewing so each sample I select sounds out as I select it rather than having to load it before I can play it?
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing 12 Years, 5 Months ago
interested in this too... really liked the machinedrum's kits being tied to patterns approach. made the whole thing.
Chain Chomp
Re:New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing 12 Years, 5 Months ago
I tend to do it in groups of 4 patterns per part, so patterns 1-4 are associated with part 1 and share the same base patterns (although sometimes overriden by param locks), patterns 5-, part 2 and so on.
Admin
AikiGhost wrote:
Id like each pattern to be able to use totally different samples this doesn't seem easy??

The only way to achieve this as of now is to limit yourself to 4 patterns pr bank.
8 tracks x 4 patterns x 16 banks = 512 samples

Which means that the real limit lies in the number of sample slots for the project:
128 Flex slots +128 Static slots =256 slots.
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
I'm not sure I understand what the purpose of a part is? Is a part a set of 8 tracks with sample setups?

Why did they move away from the far simpler and more sensible way of doing things they had with the MD where a pattern keeps all data and setups associated directly with it? It seems like such a complete hassle for zero gain to do it this new way on the OT.

Am i going to have to create and load a separate project for every song I want to create and playback live? What a pain in the butt.
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
this is, for me, the problem when having only 4 parts per bank. It's a bit hard to add some more new samples sometimes
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
phading wrote:
this is, for me, the problem when having only 4 parts per bank. It's a bit hard to add some more new samples sometimes

It seems like a totally bizarre design decision to me. When would I ever NOT want my sample to track assignments associated with the patterns I set them up for? It makes no sense whatsoever as far as I can see.

Also the OT could really do with a "drum machine" machine with say 16 samples (one per trig) that cut each other off so basic drum beats could be put on a single track easily.
King Koopa
AikiGhost wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what the purpose of a part is? Is a part a set of 8 tracks with sample setups?

Why did they move away from the far simpler and more sensible way of doing things they had with the MD where a pattern keeps all data and setups associated directly with it? It seems like such a complete hassle for zero gain to do it this new way on the OT.

Am i going to have to create and load a separate project for every song I want to create and playback live? What a pain in the butt.

Welcome to the wonderful world of parts on the OT.

They make some sense if you want to switch patterns while a static track is playing.

But it doesn't make sense that

1) there is not one part per pattern (you could still switch parts on other patterns and do the abovementioned thing)
2) there are only 4 parts per bank.

Guess it was a RAM-issue when designing the part-mechanism.

Alongside the Recorders and the weird file-system-operation-namings ("sync to card" "new project" "change project" hääää?) one of the more curious things about the OT.
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
Steril707 wrote:Guess it was a RAM-issue when designing the part-mechanism.

Em maybe they should just have allowed us to do the setup as we liked and simply gave us a "RAM full" message?

Certainly it relegates the OT from "core of my setup" territory to "I use this for glitches and FX" territory. I guess my ER1 will be coming to gigs with me for some time to come.

Steril707 wrote:They make some sense if you want to switch patterns while a static track is playing.

I have to say I have zero interest in using static tracks and wish the OT would stop defaulting to them instead of flex machines. In fact if I could remove the static machines option from the machines type list I would do so.
Goomba
perhaps you don't but i do

for me sample not assigned to pattern is the biggest strenght of the octatrack as the static machine.
i use this a lot to dj with the octatrack
Go to top Post Reply