As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Argh f*cking autosave (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Argh f*cking autosave
Game & Watch
Argh f*cking autosave 12 Years, 4 Months ago
Bloody caught out by it again, lost a few hours work

Spent a while manually slicing up a 4 bar sample into 37 segments, laying out the triggers and p-locking to get it sounding real nice. Then accidentally whilst switching midi patcher a stream of unwanted data got sent to the OT making it all sound shit, changing all the parameters, so I think ok well it saves everything since my last save in backup, right? So I reverted to the backup, but all I got was the initial sample, no slices, no p-locks. I hate autosave, I'd rather save manually then at least I know what is saved and what isn't. Argh!
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Argh f*cking autosave 12 Years, 4 Months ago
#octafail
Admin
tIB was here
bummer, im not keen either.
Admin
darenager wrote:

Spent a while manually slicing up a 4 bar sample into 37 segments, laying out the triggers and p-locking to get it sounding real nice. Then accidentally whilst switching midi patcher a stream of unwanted data got sent to the OT making it all sound shit, changing all the parameters, so I think ok well it saves everything since my last save in backup, right? So I reverted to the backup, but all I got was the initial sample, no slices, no p-locks. I hate autosave, I'd rather save manually then at least I know what is saved and what isn't. Argh!

this kind of scares the crap out of me. it sounds like the sample editing, etc. needs to be saved manually? otherwise it's just the sequencer/pattern data that's saved automatically (like on the MD and MM)?
Chain Chomp
Keep the spirit alive mate. Have faith to the Electron team!!!
Admin
papertiger wrote:
darenager wrote:

this kind of scares the crap out of me. it sounds like the sample editing, etc. needs to be saved manually? otherwise it's just the sequencer/pattern data that's saved automatically (like on the MD and MM)?

i think so. also, from what i understand from the manual, doesn't all the slicing get saved to the sample SLOT instead with the actual sample? so if you replace the sliced sample in the slot, and then load it there again, it is as if you never did anything?
Chain Chomp
darenager wrote:

Apparently you didn't backup the state of OT that had the sample sliced.
Autosave isn't equal with the backup proccess. Autosave means that OT autosaves everything you mess with in the available machine RAM. If you want to save OT's state you have have to perform a card sync. Backup is an extra save that gives you the option to revert to a previous state of OT. I agree its a bit untraditional how OT saves its projects but at the same time this feature is very handy in terms of avoiding to save every time what you do and focus on the music that you are producing. Actually its faster to work this way.
What I rellly wish for is the availability of more undo's, especially when accidentally you erase a trig which has has around 20 p-locks and you are stuck staring at the machine and whispering all the f... words that you know.
Don't also forget that you have parts. Parts have 2 states, the saved one and the edited one. You should save parts frequently since they can be very helpful to retrieve a mistake that you've done by reloading them.
Game & Watch
Yeah maybe some of it is my own fault no doubt - I saved the pattern once I had it how I wanted, the midi patchbay thing happened, screwed all the parameters, so I thought ok load in the backup - assuming it would load in what I had last saved manually, but it appears that it loaded some earlier autosave.

I'd prefer it to have loaded in the last saved version, then I would not have lost the work.
Admin
kraftf wrote:

Apparently you didn't backup the state of OT that had the sample sliced.
Autosave isn't equal with the backup proccess. Autosave means that OT autosaves everything you mess with in the available machine RAM. If you want to save OT's state you have have to perform a card sync. Backup is an extra save that gives you the option to revert to a previous state of OT. I agree its a bit untraditional how OT saves its projects but at the same time this feature is very handy in terms of avoiding to save every time what you do and focus on the music that you are producing. Actually its faster to work this way.
What I rellly wish for is the availability of more undo's, especially when accidentally you erase a trig which has has around 20 p-locks and you are stuck staring at the machine and whispering all the f... words that you know.
Don't also forget that you have parts. Parts have 2 states, the saved one and the edited one. You should save parts frequently since they can be very helpful to retrieve a mistake that you've done by reloading them.

Cappy
MORE UNDOS!!!!!
Go to top Post Reply