As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT parts discussion (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT parts discussion
Admin
OT parts discussion 12 Years, 5 Months ago
just curious here...

i've read a lot of posts from people that don't like or understand OT parts and would like to have one "kit" per pattern. the OT was clearly designed with parts in mind from the beginning. i like parts. i have found a few situations where maybe a kit per pattern situation may have been preferable, but for the most part i see a lot of potential.

can some of you that don't like the parts concept tell me why?
  The topic has been locked.
Yoshi
Re:OT parts discussion 12 Years, 5 Months ago
Now, not saying I "don't like" parts... but I really haven't wrapped my head around them / found a use for them just yet.

I can definitely see a use for them when triggering "static" audio (i.e 8x 1 bar loops), or a basic 4x4 kick, but can see where the confusion can come in, on top of all the sample management issues.

This is where I trip up a bit, with having to handle/remember which sample have been utilised, and the sample trig offsets...

So I can see why people would like a "part-per-pattern" mode, or maybe even a "default sample allocation" per pattern, rather then per bank might make it easier.

I think given a good video tutorial on the benefits, and examples of how they can be utilised, people may come round a bit.
King Koopa
The Parts concept is a replacement of the Kits concept, though the destination between the two is quite blurred.

Most users of the Octatrack are legacy users of the Machinedrum. One of the strengths when using the MD lies in the user's ability to save and recall many variations of the same kit quickly.

4 parts per bank = unnecessary work flow restriction to those that have become accustom to working with almost unlimited Kits in the MD.

---

Parts in the Octratrack were not designed to be used like Kits. Parts are in essence a Live Performance Workspace Configuration. I feel, future O/S updates will emphasise this distinction.
I hadn't seen this when I just made my thread about parts.
This is the sort of useful discussion I can get behind. Thanks.
King Koopa
MPC 2500
MonoMachine mk2+
Octatrack
Fizmo Rack
Korg 707
Dark Energy
Mackie Onyx 1640i
2 * Pandora PX4
Korg KP 3
Art TCS
Valley People Dynamite
The complexity of the octatrack (and very limited time the past 8 months) has been a bit of a hurdle for me I have yet to take.

I try to read as much about it on the forum and other places on the web.

What happened to me several times is that I made a pattern with a sliced beats, locks etc etc just like posted earlier in this thread and when I made a second pattern and selected a different sample from the audio pool for that track, the first pattern was messed up because it got the same sample.

The way I see it now is that I just have to lock every sample as well to the trigs.
It's an extra action I have to perform for each trig and all added up it will consume quite some time.

I've got more time on my hands nowadays so I really have to do my best to master the OT.

To be honest, this is the first machine I have ever owned that made my brain hurt.

Guess elektron is quite busy but I'd love to see a good tutorial video how to work with parts / samples in relation to patterns.

.R
Boo
RobbieNerve wrote:

Guess elektron is quite busy but I'd love to see a good tutorial video how to work with parts / samples in relation to patterns.

.R

yeah, parts are hard to handle especially when you dont know or understand the real benefit.
comming from a md it feels quite unusual but probably it takes just a good video hint to open unknown territory for some of us.
I too think that elektron is pretty busy at the moment so my suggestion is they should hire SecretMusicUK 2 do this kind of job

He does a superb job on tutorial vids!
King Koopa
It would be nice to have 16 parts per Bank. Each one autoassigned to a pattern at the start.

Then, you may consider yourself, if you want to have patterns share a part,a nd if not, then have each pattern their own part.

So you would have the flexibility of the partsystem, but not the restrictions.
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
kirlian wrote:
can some of you that don't like the parts concept tell me why?

Because it means that you cant have 8 new samples per pattern, just like the MD. That alone makes it a pain in the arse.

Personally I will never need to take a pattern I have already got and play it with another "part". I wrote the pattern for the samples it uses. If I wanted the same pattern with new samples Id copy the pattern to anew one and assign new samples. Essentially the parts idea is a restriction and not an advantage.

Its is also confusing for people who are used to the MD and other samplers/grooveboxes that do things properly.
Justin Valer wrote:

Parts in the Octratrack were not designed to be used like Kits. Parts are in essence a Live Performance Workspace Configuration. I feel, future O/S updates will emphasise this distinction.

THIS !!!
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
Justin Valer wrote:

Really bad design decision, it in actuality compromises ease of use and serves to annoy their MD user base in my opinion.

If they must have "parts" there should be 16 per bank not 4 and there should be a setting to "lock banks to patterns".
Go to top Post Reply