As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT - Samples on tracks and different patterns (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT - Samples on tracks and different patterns
Cappy
OT - Samples on tracks and different patterns 12 Years, 4 Months ago
How come samples on one pattern have to be the same on another pattern in the OT? I made a beat with certain samples and went to another pattern to start a new set of sounds. So to my alarm, I went back to the first pattern and found that all the samples were the same as the 2nd pattern. I thought patterns used their own samples. I know that it would not be possible to change 128 slots for each pattern but shouldn't you get to have different sounds for other patterns? Why would you even have 128 slots if you can really only have 8 samples for all your patterns. I hope parts is not the answer here since that is only 4 variations. I'm new to the OT. Do you only get 4 different sample sets per bank or something???? Plz help
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
www.exuviae-music.com

Current band members: Octatrack, A4, Ultranova
Re:OT - Samples on tracks and different patterns 12 Years, 4 Months ago
Yep, you have 4 parts per bank to save different "kits" or sample clusters for a pattern. I agree with most that this is seriously lame and limited. I would prefer a "per pattern" method of sample storage.
This isn't just a part thing. But by all means, fill a few more threads with that complaint. Again. And again. And again. Again?

You have a set of 128 flex sample slots and 128 static sample slots that you can use within each project. You assigne whichever samples from your audio pool that you'd like to those slots, *for all the various parts within a given project (=16 banks of (4 parts & 16 patterns))*.
Allocate those however you'd like to. If you want to start from scratch, start a new project.

The tracks, and the samples assigned to them, are defined by the part, as Exuviae alluded to. If you use the same part in two patterns, it'll have the same default samples assigned to the tracks. (You can still set different samples on a track than the default, using sample locks, but it's not efficient.)
It can be useful to use the same parts for different patterns though, without having to set up the samples each time. Variations on a pattern, or different sections of a 'song,' etc.
Cappy
Thank you for both of those replies!

(=16 banks of (4 parts & 16 patterns)
Does this mean there are 4 parts in each bank?
Yes! You can set those to whichever patterns you'd like in the bank.
Make them all use 1 (the same) part if you'd like, or if you prefer each pattern to have its own part, then just make 4 patterns per bank. At least that's how it is for now.

We don't know if the OT will be capable of more parts per bank in the future. So it would be nice if people would stop fixating on that idea.
Game & Watch
I think parts are the biggest limitation on the OT, I'd much prefer the option to assign the samples myself to each pattern -128 samples per part is too much anyway IMHO, I'd much rather have 8 samples per pattern and a kit type setup, after all the OT has 8 tracks so 8 samples per pattern would be better for me, I can do sample chains if say I wanted a bunch of drum sounds on 1 track, slice them and use the slice parameter to plock whichever sound.

Having a huge list of 128 samples and using sample locks feels counter intuitive, and nowhere near as fast as using sample chains and slice.

I never used more than 1 part, mainly because with the current structure I tend only to have a few patterns in memory at any one time, because I find the parts inflexible and a bit of a pain. Also I often only have enough samples loaded for the patterns in use, I really don't see the point of needing 4*128 samples per 16 patterns given how much the OT can mangle them beyond recognition.

I have a feeling that this kind of user interface weirdness is a key factor in people selling their Octatracks, personally I'll stick with it*, it is still a great machine and extremely capable, and it is getting better with each update - But I still think that compared to the immediacy of the MD and Monomachine (and indeed other samplers) the OT is not as much fun or as fast to use when it comes to assigning sounds to tracks.

*I can't say if this would be the case had the OT been my first experience of Elektron gear.

I don't see why discussing dislikes of the OT needs to be seen as negative, quite the opposite in my book, constructive discussion has led to many improvements on Elektron products, and is not to be confused with 'hater' trolling.

MrSysex, I can see what you are trying to do, and your sentiment is valid, but beware of coming across as patronising, its not like many of us don't understand parts, rather that we don't feel they are the best solution. I agree that it is counter productive to have lots of threads on the subject, but it does go to show how unpopular the part system is.
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
echopraxia wrote:
Thank you for both of those replies!

(=16 banks of (4 parts & 16 patterns)
Does this mean there are 4 parts in each bank?

Yes.

I tend to think of each bank as a "song". So per song I have 16 patterns and 4 sample setups (parts).

So a single project gets 16 banks/songs, each with 16 patterns, 4 parts each with 16 scenes.
Chain Chomp
Again parts discussion???
Guys have a look at previous threads to get an idea how to use the whole pallette of samples within one part along with sample chains.
Use parts for different fx configurations, track routing, automated sampling and leave alone the sample management. You are losing the point here. Get past this issue or else sell OT. You will do yourself a favour(and the guys that will buy it instantly!!)
I don't think Elektron must be shipping their Octatracks with manuals anymore. Lot of questions on this forum that are easily answered in the manual that they used to send with the machine.
Chain Chomp
darenager wrote:
I think parts are the biggest limitation on the OT, I'd much prefer the option to assign the samples myself to each pattern -128 samples per part is too much anyway IMHO, I'd much rather have 8 samples per pattern and a kit type setup, after all the OT has 8 tracks so 8 samples per pattern would be better for me, I can do sample chains if say I wanted a bunch of drum sounds on 1 track, slice them and use the slice parameter to plock whichever sound.

Having a huge list of 128 samples and using sample locks feels counter intuitive, and nowhere near as fast as using sample chains and slice.

I never used more than 1 part, mainly because with the current structure I tend only to have a few patterns in memory at any one time, because I find the parts inflexible and a bit of a pain. Also I often only have enough samples loaded for the patterns in use, I really don't see the point of needing 4*128 samples per 16 patterns given how much the OT can mangle them beyond recognition.

I have a feeling that this kind of user interface weirdness is a key factor in people selling their Octatracks, personally I'll stick with it*, it is still a great machine and extremely capable, and it is getting better with each update - But I still think that compared to the immediacy of the MD and Monomachine (and indeed other samplers) the OT is not as much fun or as fast to use when it comes to assigning sounds to tracks.

*I can't say if this would be the case had the OT been my first experience of Elektron gear.

I don't see why discussing dislikes of the OT needs to be seen as negative, quite the opposite in my book, constructive discussion has led to many improvements on Elektron products, and is not to be confused with 'hater' trolling.

MrSysex, I can see what you are trying to do, and your sentiment is valid, but beware of coming across as patronising, its not like many of us don't understand parts, rather that we don't feel they are the best solution. I agree that it is counter productive to have lots of threads on the subject, but it does go to show how unpopular the part system is.

Please consider my post here
http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=156970&catid=9&limit=10&limitstart=40
Go to top Post Reply