As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Midicommand community (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Midicommand community
Goomba
Midicommand community 11 Years, 11 Months ago
Is there any midicommand community left?

I have written some midicommand firmware similar to the schwarzonator, that i wanted to share. Are still ppl using the midicommand, who would be interested?

Is manuel ill or something? He doesn't answers to emails, the forum for the midicommand is down. It's a pitty, the midicommand has a very good potentiall in my opinion.
  The topic has been locked.
jdn
King Koopa
Re:Midicommand community 11 Years, 11 Months ago
I'm interested.
I was actually thinking about writing some MiniCommand firmwares myself too.
Goomba
is there still any platform for uploading the firmware, so that other could download them?
Goomba
btw: unfortunately, the MIDI-CTRL Framework only works under windows xp + macos. windows 7 isn't supported yet. i tried to make it work for windows 7, but i couldn't figure out how to compile the sources. if somebody knows more, i would appreciate some additional information.
Yoshi
Alex Hasten wrote:
Is there any midicommand community left?

I believe it is basically dead/non existent. There is some users here, like Tyrone who is awesome, but all in all, seems to be pretty much a ghost town.

Alex Hasten wrote:
I have written some midicommand firmware similar to the schwarzonator, that i wanted to share. Are still ppl using the midicommand, who would be interested?

I would. You could uploaded them here in the 'Files' / Sandbox section?

Alex Hasten wrote:
Is manuel ill or something? He doesn't answers to emails, the forum for the midicommand is down. It's a pitty, the midicommand has a very good potentiall in my opinion.

Not sure if ill or anything. I got a response to a query months ago. I think, but don't know, that the project is probably just dead as far as R&W are concerned.

jdn wrote:
I'm interested.
I was actually thinking about writing some MiniCommand firmwares myself too.

I've been trying... but it is hard. There is little/poor/disorgansied documentation and zero support from R&W. So it is frustrating to say the least.

I would be prepared to put in some effort for a collabrative learning / documentation / wiki / knowlegebase if others would be as well.

Alex Hasten wrote:
is there still any platform for uploading the firmware, so that other could download them?

Nothing dedicated. Upload them here?

Maybe someone could setup a small forum, or one of the Mods could dedicate an area for it here?

Alex Hasten wrote:
btw: unfortunately, the MIDI-CTRL Framework only works under windows xp + macos. windows 7 isn't supported yet. i tried to make it work for windows 7, but i couldn't figure out how to compile the sources. if somebody knows more, i would appreciate some additional information.

It works ok for me on Windows 7? (I think?) I can run it, write firmwares, complie etc. But I do transfer to a Mac for actually uploading to the MiniCommand.
Boo
^^ +1 - cheers Rusty...

Hi Alex,

I'd be very keen to check out your firmware! I uploaded my Octatrack live firmware to the files section of this forum a while back, in the absence of the official R&W forums (RIP) this seemed like the best place for it...

The last time I managed to speak to Manuel on email was probably back at the start of the year about a bug in the MNM Live firmware ("WRONG CHECK" message displays when the MC tries to parse the MNM kit). He built a new version of the MIDI-CTRL framework - 0018. I have used this to recompile & flash the MNM Live firmware but haven't investigated it much further. It seemed like some things were refactored, and some of my old firmwares didn't compile straight away - I didn't feel like embarking on a mission to update all my old code... anyway the link is here if anyone is interested - OSX only though

https://github.com/downloads/wesen/mididuino/MidiCtrl-0018.dmg.gz

I think Rusty has summed it up well. It would be good to try and keep some sort of MC dev community going here if we can... I have a few more firmwares at home that I have been meaning to upload, if others have stuff to share...

Re: doco / wiki - a good idea, this is also one of my biggest gripes of the framework in it's current state... so much stuff is poorly or not documented at all... in an ideal world maybe it would be best if the Midi-Ctrl wiki / doxygen was a bit more open or allowed users to "fill in the blanks"? it would be good to keep as much as possible in one location. but probably slim to no chance of this happening until manuel comes out of hibernation? at very least if there are a few threads here that people can search on then that would be a start..
Admin
Manuel is ok. The silence is due to an extended hiatus away from the Midicommand project. The project is not dead - hibernation is probably a good word. For now, just assume you're on your own for a good while.

M
Admin
Rusty wrote:
Maybe someone could setup a small forum, or one of the Mods could dedicate an area for it here?

You're better off starting something up outside of elektron-users. We were not adding any new functionality until the launch of Elektronauts, but given recent events, it's uncertain when even that will happen.

M
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
I still use my MC regularly, but I don't code at all and I don't know how many users (other than you guys) know enough to develop firmwares. I stick with a few that I find useful and though I've imagined one I'd *really* like, I have done little more than conceive of it.

The last time I talked to Manuel was around New Year's, and he said he might have been a bit optimistic about how many users would be into learning/writing code.

FWIW, there seems to be enough demand for used MCs around here that many people at least want to try them out. So speaking as a non-elected representative for the code-ignorant MC users: We are humbly grateful for any and all efforts you guys make.
Cappy
I finally found the best monster firmware suiting me....and keep using my MC more and more...

Would love to share some more info etc. about this controller.
Go to top Post Reply