As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack TIPS thread (placed in WIKI section of this site) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack TIPS thread (placed in WIKI section of this site)
Goomba
Octatrack TIPS thread (placed in WIKI section of this site) 11 Years, 9 Months ago
I have been looking for a tips thread for the OT but I can't seem to find it. Wouldn't it be easy to have all tips in one sticky thread? I know a lot of us are struggling to get this machine under control and all the help we can get is welcome.

I'll be starting with a first tip. I'm sure it has been mentioned (severall times) before, but it's a very important one imo:

Having hundreds of samples in one project.

When I discovered that you can only have 128 samples in a flex machine and 128 samples in a static machine I thought that would be more than enough, for one pattern or even for one bank. But for all banks in a project it seemed a bit limited to say the least. I recently bought the Goldbaby samplepacks 808 and 909. I really wanted to be able to listen and walk through the different kicks, snares, hats, so on while playing on the Octatrack.. But with this limitation of 2 x 128 you'll soon be out of slots.

Most of you know slicing is the answer and for those who don't know I'll explain:

I took Ableton (but every DAW will do) and started with the basskicks of the 909. I placed a kick on every quarter measure: 1.1 - 1.2 - 1.3 - 1.4 - 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3 - 2.4 and so on. You can slice up to 64 slices so you can repeat this until you have placed exactly 64 kicks. (you can have less samples, but keep in mind you use the exact same number of samples as you slice like 2-4-8-16-32-64 and keep in mind to have them evenly spaced, for instance for longer samples you can place them on every measure instead). Then I exported the 16 measures containing 64 kicks. I copied this exported wave to my audio pool on the OT. I then loaded this sample in a static slot. I edited this sample with the slice function making a 64 slices grid. I now can cycle through the 64 kicks by dialing the slice number. How cool is that! In theory you can have 2 x 128 x 64 = 16.384 samples in one project!

I now have dedicated slots for all my favorite drum sounds. And I still have plenty of room left for other stuff. It takes a little time to set up, but you can re-use it with all your projects afterwards.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:Octatrack TIPS thread (should be sticky) 11 Years, 9 Months ago
awesome.
Game & Watch
Definitely feel free to edit the FAQ/Wiki and add your tips. It's located here

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=43&id=octatrack
Goomba
Oops, I wasn't aware of the WIKI.

I posted the same story in the WIKI now.

Thanks!
Game & Watch
Thank *you* - it's all the interesting tips and user contributions to the wiki etc. that help make this forum what it is Keep 'em coming!
MAZ
Boo
Re:Octatrack TIPS thread (placed in WIKI section of this site) 11 Years, 2 Months ago
Roonan wrote:
I have been looking for a tips thread for the OT but I can't seem to find it. Wouldn't it be easy to have all tips in one sticky thread? I know a lot of us are struggling to get this machine under control and all the help we can get is welcome.

I'll be starting with a first tip. I'm sure it has been mentioned (severall times) before, but it's a very important one imo:

Having hundreds of samples in one project.

When I discovered that you can only have 128 samples in a flex machine and 128 samples in a static machine I thought that would be more than enough, for one pattern or even for one bank. But for all banks in a project it seemed a bit limited to say the least. I recently bought the Goldbaby samplepacks 808 and 909. I really wanted to be able to listen and walk through the different kicks, snares, hats, so on while playing on the Octatrack.. But with this limitation of 2 x 128 you'll soon be out of slots.

Most of you know slicing is the answer and for those who don't know I'll explain:

I took Ableton (but every DAW will do) and started with the basskicks of the 909. I placed a kick on every quarter measure: 1.1 - 1.2 - 1.3 - 1.4 - 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3 - 2.4 and so on. You can slice up to 64 slices so you can repeat this until you have placed exactly 64 kicks. (you can have less samples, but keep in mind you use the exact same number of samples as you slice like 2-4-8-16-32-64 and keep in mind to have them evenly spaced, for instance for longer samples you can place them on every measure instead). Then I exported the 16 measures containing 64 kicks. I copied this exported wave to my audio pool on the OT. I then loaded this sample in a static slot. I edited this sample with the slice function making a 64 slices grid. I now can cycle through the 64 kicks by dialing the slice number. How cool is that! In theory you can have 2 x 128 x 64 = 16.384 samples in one project!

I now have dedicated slots for all my favorite drum sounds. And I still have plenty of room left for other stuff. It takes a little time to set up, but you can re-use it with all your projects afterwards.

Yes is true, you can bypass this big limitation, BUT, you simply don't have the same degree of control over the slice, as you should over "one shot" sample type, doesn't it? ...Not to mention that cycling through slices is kind of boring thing...c'mon Elektron, we use machines because computers are boring in making music, please do something
Then I can't get the concept behind this: why every pattern can't have it's own sample flex and static slots since the audiopool is loaded WITHIN every project...Every pattern should have access to all sample loaded in the audiopool. Now I hope for futute updates: (1 pattern = 1 flex + 1 static)
Re:Octatrack TIPS thread (placed in WIKI section of this site) 11 Years, 2 Months ago
That would be a better solution. I was very dissapointed when I found out the system was limited to to way it is now. I also hate the 4 part system. There should be a part per pattern option.
Cappy
-
mc202.com wrote:
REOvolt wrote:
I also hate the 4 part system. There should be a part per pattern option.

+1

+1
Cappy
maass wrote:
mc202.com wrote:
REOvolt wrote:
I also hate the 4 part system. There should be a part per pattern option.

+1

+1

+ 1
Go to top Post Reply