As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW)
Boo
Octatrack | MnM SFX60 | KP3
Re:Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW) 11 Years, 6 Months ago
i have occasionally experienced GAS to acquire an 8-track recorder...

i love my tascam 688. my secret weapon of choice, got it for a steal.
thought of getting the tascam 388 one day...

the 688 not only is a fine desk with 2 aux pre and post, the pre-amps are fantastic imho, very musical EQ´s and an incredible routingmatrix, but it has the charme of a cassette tape too.
direct outs as well.

8 tracks is more than enough, considering it sold for a few grand back in the day you can get one for real cheap nowadays - even with that remote controll if you´re lucky enough...

also i can´t repeat enough to check out tarekith´s tips´n´tricks site.
i am very thankfull for that - big ups to tarekith and the people who shared their secrect knowledge.

so many cool things to try out with the elektron machines.
you have to love them.
  The topic has been locked.
Previewlounge:
I went to trying out the tweak->copy->revert->paste and had a blast. Did not see your last post before hand. And discovered the different button combos. I copied and pasted a pattern I already had to a new slot incase I did something where I could not revert it back. Did the tweak->copy->revert->paste and when I pasted it reverted all the way back to the blank pattern. I had to double tap paste to get the tweaked pattern to load. I powered cycled the MD and got the normal behavior. If you use the function-classic to revert before you paste then paste will cycle as you described and using function-classic screws up the rotation. If you paste before function-classic to revert then paste will always load the tweaked form and function-classic is the only way to revert.

So far I like the using paste to cycle between forms, but the other way may be better for muscle memory as the same combo will always revert. As apposed to having to use one combo for the 1st time you revert and another for the rest.

Off to experiment to see how adding a 3rd variation of tweaks is effected with pasting before and after the function-classic revert.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Definitely lots of good ideas in this thread ... don't forget many more are compiled in the "MD Tips & Tricks" and "Next Level" documents in the files section. I find both of these well worth reading again and again from time to time, as I think of new ways to apply the ideas as I learn...

One of my favorite ways to build up a big full changing sound is by sampling just a few tracks with one RAM machine and then resampling the results with another, applying various amounts of echo and reverb to each iteration. Resampling just a short section of the first RAM loop is often enough.

Modify the parameters (start/end times, filter settings, etc.) of each RAM machine, as well as the parameters of the reverb and echo (easier with CTR-GB and -RE machines, IMHO) as you jam. Plock the trigs on each RAM-P track variation, or better yet put the same RAM-P machine on multiple tracks, so that the contents of one RAM-R machine can be used to make overlapping sequences, with various parameter settings. Rinse & repeat.

...At first all this can get obnoxious in a hurry, but with a little planning and time spent finding the sweet spots in your settings the results can be amazing.
Managed to figure out to get 3 variations in rotation. Woot, woot!

1st it relies on the paste before function-classic. As I played around I noticed sometimes after doing as I described above it would revert to the behavior where paste would cycle the tweaked and saved form. I discovered for paste to only trigger the tweaked form, function-classic had to be pressed after pattern paste was displayed with the paste command. If function-classic was used after undo paste was display the MD would go back to cycling the saved and tweaked forms with the paste command.

So, here goes:

1 tweak the pattern then copy and paste it
2 use function-classic to change to the saved form
3 paste command will display undo pattern and will revert to the tweaked form
4 tweak again for a 3rd variation
5 paste will trigger the 2nd variation
6 function-classic will trigger the saved form
7 paste will trigger the 3rd variation
8 paste will trigger the 2nd
9 paste will trigger the 3rd
10 paste will trigger the 2nd
11 paste will trigger the 3rd
12 function-classic will trigger the saved
13 paste will trigger the 3rd
14 function-classic triggers the saved form

15 Paste will NOW trigger the 2nd variation and the 3rd variation is lost

But now you can tweak again and cycle!!!!

It depends on whether function-classic is used after paste triggers an undo pattern or a paste pattern message.
MK7
Killer Beez
@stinkybeat: sounds weird, but useful.
Chain Chomp
Okay I'm sure this has been covered before as it's both simple and REALLY AWESOME, I just found out about this and haven't seen it mentioned in the Tips & Tricks documents.

It's MDUW only:

1. Load/make a sample which is just a series of CLICKS (for example place trigs on the first 3 trigs with a GND-IMP, record this with a RAM machine, then copy this sample to ROM).
2. Load the sample into a ROM machine, e.g. on track M1.
3. In GLOBAL > ROUTING > OUTPUT, route M1 to e.g. output F.
5. Plug output F into input A, using a cable.
4. In GLOBAL > ROUTING > TRIG IN A, set up an input trigger with a track of your choice as DEST.
6. Tweak the input trigger until you get clean, well, triggers on your destination channel.
7. Optionally, repeat the steps above using a different (or the same) sample, but a different output, e.g. output E and input B and a different trigger destination.

So, simple case, triplets?
1. make a clicky sample as described above - so you have 3 32th clicks.
2. Pitch down the sample to ca. -12. Fine-tune the groove by slightly tweaking pitch.
3. ???
4. FREAKIN' PROFIT

Rhythmic Mayhem?
Tweak the parameters in the triggering ROM machines
(PITCH, RTRG, RTIME, STRT, END, VOLUME)
And of course, use CT-AL or CTL-8 on these! LFOs!
Chain Chomp
I'm totally gonna do this today. I've thought it but never played with it.
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp
Chain Chomp
fucking hell, the Machinedrum is AMAZING.

addendum: change the trigger destination while jamming out - w0000t
Go to top Post Reply