As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT//New way to transition between tracks like Ableton [VID] (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT//New way to transition between tracks like Ableton [VID]
Chain Chomp
OT//New way to transition between tracks like Ableton [VID] 11 Years, 1 Month ago
EDIT: Here's a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMhA8a6SiMU&feature=youtu.be

I had a BIG breakthrough tonight.
I found that if you turn off loopmode and use the trigs to fire off clips in "plays free mode" you can have the OT act EXACTLY like Ableton's launch capabilities for transitioning. The only caveat: it only works for loops. Still great though! You can always sample your sequenced out stuff into a spare track.

Here's how:
1) Turn on all tracks to play free. Set the trig mode to ONE2. Now when you hit a trig it'll start to play and will be synced. I have it synced to the pattern length.
2) Make sure all your loops have loop mode set to OFF

Now, let's say you've got 2 patterns. Most people, including me, would transition using the crossfader trick. Now, there's no need to. You can switch patterns and replace each track one by one.

So, you've playing your track, turning tracks off and on. Now it's time to transition. Turn Loop Mode to ON on ALL the loops you want to carry over. Then, you can switch patterns and have those loops still playing. As long as your next pattern is setup the same way they won't fire until you hit a trig. So, now you can replace the bassline with a touch of the trig! Then swap out the kick drum, then hats etc! It works great!

The only issue is that it's annoying to change the loop mode (well, to me it is). Does anyone know if there is a SYSEX command that can control this?

Have fun!
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:OT // New way to transition between tracks! (Like Ableton) 11 Years, 1 Month ago
OK - I figured out a great workaround baring any SYSEX nightmares.
Simply copy your last pattern to a new one and use a different part that has loop mode ON for everything.

Now, it's just like ableton in terms of launching and slowly bringing in one track at a time! It works great!
MK7
Killer Beez
Re:OT // New way to transition between tracks! (Like Ableton) 11 Years, 1 Month ago
Nice trick!
Chain Chomp

Nice work!
Chain Chomp
Interesting Rhythmic Devices That Seem To Counterpoint The Surrealism Of The Underlying Metaphor. DA RIP
You Sir have made my day!
Chain Chomp
I'll make a video this weekend. I can't believe how great this works!!!

EDIT/UPDATE:

There are still some quicks i'm trying to figure out..
Goomba
Simply copy your last pattern to a new one and use a different part

Actually in my opinion thats the best way making transitions. No fancy tricks needed.

- Make sure that you always use 1 bank for 2 songs with Part 1 for Song 1 and Part 3 for Song 2. Part 2 and Part 4 will be the parts where we make our transitions.

- Always keep 2 or more patterns per Bank free for your transition patterns. For example:
Pattern 1 to 7 for Song 1, Pattern 8 for the transition, 9 to 15 for song 2 and 16 again for a transition to the next Bank.

- Copy and paste the pattern of Song 1 you want to alter and make the transition from and change it's Part to Part 2.

- Save part 1 then copy Part 1 of Song 1 to Part 2. Now you are free to alter it without changing Part 1 of Song 1

- Lets decide wich tracks can be taken out of Song 1 to be replaced with some tracks of Song 2.

- Copy a Track of Song 2 and Paste it into a Track of the transition pattern (wich you just set to Part 2). Repeat as needed and save Part 2.

- To make a transition from Song 2 to Song 3 in the next bank basically do the same except now copy the tracks from Song 3 to the previous Bank.
Chain Chomp
That way works but it requires structure.
The way I'm doing it does not require that. You can switch from any pattern and mix in and out seamlessly. I've figured out a few extra things and will make a video. It's about as complicated as doing the fader trick in terms of setting it up but it's MUCH EASIER to transition with this new way.
I'm calling it the logical-transition ;P

This is my project this weekend.
Killer Beez
N_Rain wrote:

+1
Go to top Post Reply