As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD compression question? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD compression question?
Goomba
MD compression question? 14 Years, 10 Months ago
Hey all!

so far, all you ladies and gents have been fantastic. (actually, are there any ladies anywhere that use this gear? i'd love to meet em!)

my question is this: does everyone agree that the initial factory settings for compression on the uw are a little heavy? also, I'm fairly new to live work, so would it be better to reduce the compression for performance in a small club?

what are the general feelings on the uw compressor?

thanks, you useful bunch!
  The topic has been locked.
Re:MD compression question? 14 Years, 10 Months ago
I use the MD compressor as a musical effect, and not for dynamic controll.
Because of the nature of the sequencing with the MD, there is already full controll over dynamics. You can use p-locks on volume to create dynamics, or you just leave as it is if you want no dynamics.
For me it works better to make the volume of each element fit, than correct this with the compressor.
Regarding the compressor as muscial effect: anything goes as long as it sounds right. I mostly use it as I would use distortion.
Game & Watch
I really didin't get the dynamix at first, quite unlike any other compressor I've used before and the lack of meters doesn't really help.

However as sauna sound said, it is good to use as a further effect rather than for fixing a problem. Keep the attack slow for a nice pump, or slam the crap out of it (low thresh, high ratio) and then severely reduce the wet dry mix, for a gentle fattening.

I quite like the way it works with the reverb and delays, increasing their level as the dry signals fade.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
One downside of Dynamix is that by default it's on 100% already. I went through and turned it down all the way in one pattern, and copied that to all my free pattern memories. That way it's only on when I want it on.
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Tarekith wrote:
One downside of Dynamix is that by default it's on 100% already. I went through and turned it down all the way in one pattern, and copied that to all my free pattern memories. That way it's only on when I want it on.

Oh crap...didn't realize that it was always on. Whoops!
Chain Chomp
cold-date 10,191
I love the MD compressor. IMO it really comes alive on mk2 with the added headroom you can hear what its doing.

I like really aggressive settings with and then I just run it parallel feeding only a bit in on the mix.

Using it like this it works at least as well as trying to do the same trick on the MD using my trusty old DBX 160s.

It sounds amazingly better than the Logic compressors on the MD as well.

I think thats what I like about it, its an MD specific compressor that is right there for me to use.
Killer Beez
victorjohn wrote:
I love the MD compressor. IMO it really comes alive on mk2 with the added headroom you can hear what its doing.

I like really aggressive settings with and then I just run it parallel feeding only a bit in on the mix.

Using it like this it works at least as well as trying to do the same trick on the MD using my trusty old DBX 160s.

It sounds amazingly better than the Logic compressors on the MD as well.

I think thats what I like about it, its an MD specific compressor that is right there for me to use.

I've always avoided using MD-compressor, since I find it hard to get good results. Since you feel at home with it, I would love to hear some examples with MD compressor on and off. Care to share any loops with the rest of us, so we can hear some practical examples of how to use it?
Admin
tIB was here
Tarekith wrote:
One downside of Dynamix is that by default it's on 100% already.

Ha, never thought of it in that way before!
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Would someone mind posting some example settings for getting a nice pumping/breathing sound out of the MD compressor? I've sort of gotten it to respond like that, but not quite...curious to see where my settings differ.

Thanks!
Tarekith wrote:

Actually, it's not. It looks like it is, but if you look at the manual, page 31:

"MIX controls the cross mix between the compressed signal and the original signal. A high value bypasses the DYNAMIX processor"

Been doing your compression all wrong then Tarekith?!
Go to top Post Reply