As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Finally I get it. Love my MonoMachine... (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Finally I get it. Love my MonoMachine...
Goomba
Re:Finally I get it. Love my MonoMachine... 14 Years, 5 Months ago
I've been on/off with my MD UW ever since I bought it.

I love using it on it's own, but the minute I hook it up with my EMX1 the workflow just seems to trip over itself.

I refuse to become just another scratcher though, (despite several near re-sales), especially since it's deepness has revealed itself to me. It's just getting it to be friends with my Electribe. I think I just want to have to program both machines the same way, which obviously aint gonna happen.

anyway, good thread -> I wanted to raise this but didn't want to start a thread devoted to my wranglings, so what better place to air my love/hate relationship status.

(and apologies to the folks who have been caught up in my surface-scratcher-almost selling/trading-indecisive-annoyingness)

I AM keeping it, even if it takes aeons to flower.
  The topic has been locked.
same story here. first months I was thinking "I spent $1500 on a Nintendo with a sequencer..", and also for me, prolonged couch-sessions with headphones, manual and a beer or two, things started to make sense. and when it made sense, it did so in a fantastic way, can't ever imagine parting with it now..

still get very different results than I go for tho, but that's half the cool-factor of this thing
Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
joysicks, knobs, and gayness, it's becoming a wanking thread - the mono is pschologically very deep
Game & Watch
the main reason I don´t sold it after a couple weeks of frustration was beacuse I´m strongly convinced that I was frozen in a really tight sonic space of analog tones...so I realized that my negation to the mono sound was part of that and I decide to just expose to it, just program, play. listen, program, play listen...so withou I notice in a concient way it sounds reveals to me in an incredible way...when I look back to my usual sounds I found them exactly as I gues; all the same...in the other hand the mono was refreshing, new, defined, wild, precise, raw, crude and even smooth in a new way of smoothness
Admin
i'm in a rut with the monomachine. my ideas with it have dried up. it's as dry as a chicken birth as anselmi might say...

time to dig back in. time to get very gay with the mono. very gay indeed.

eminor9 - you dropped some simple but very cool tips with your monojazz digging deeper track from last week. i'll probably start there.
Admin
tIB was here
I was in love the very first second I touched the sfx6 in the shop I bought it from... amazingly inspiring machine. When Im low on ideas I disconnect all and focus only on that. Need to do it more often as over the last year or so learning the MD meant it took over a bit.

Sometime wonder if my immediate clicking with the mono was a result in being fairly short on preconceptions to what it should sound like, having previously only owned a few (mostly VA type) hardware synths and prior to that using the computer... the interface was a big factor though, didnt read the instruction for the first few months and learned a lot just digging around as it all felt so natural.
Goomba
Re:Finally I get it. Love my MonoMachine... 14 Years, 4 Months ago
Haha... Love the "I spent $1500 on a Nintendo with a sequencer.." comment. Felt the same way for a while too.

At the moment I have my Monomachine and my TR808 hooked up to a set of cheeap computer speakers with headphones in my living room. Pure bliss, feel like a kid again with my first synth!

I just wanted to reasure anyone else who checks out the user pages and is swithering on whether to buy a monomachine or not.

True, it is an expensive piece of kit, but anyone who has a few old analogs in their studio doesn't need another. With the Monomachine I really do feel special and part of a secret elite, more so than owning any of the so-called desirable analogs ever has.

In an age of VST instruments, the guys at Elektron really do deserve all the support they can get and you really have to give credit where it is due to the guys who designed this thing.

Of course now I have the problem of wanting a Machinedrum UW.

Joe

Shanghai

ps, I def see the sfx-60 as a knob-ladden brushed aluminium 110% man, so that must make me gay as.
Yoshi
Its time for my informative graphic on the MnM again.....

100 Time is approximately 6 earth months but varies according to individual

100 Love is roughly equal to hugging a puppy
Game & Watch
excuse me but for me it´s far from linear

here´s a more accurate representation based on users´experience related in this thread and others (mine included)

1. you know about the existence of the monomachine

2. you start to read reviews, enter the elektron site and hear some demos

3. you start to see youtube videos featuring the monomachine

4. you discover the elektron-users forum and start to read owners´experiences

5. you discover some bad issues and the official feature request thread

6. you decide to get one

7. you order one!

8. you got it!

9. you start to play with it trying your usual tricks and music

10. for some reason you are not able to get the expected results

11. the monomachine start to sound somewhat thin and lifeless to your ears

12. you ruin your 3-hours-edition pattern just trying alternative ideas "because you can return to the saved pattern if you don´t like the variations you are trying"

13. you start to feel stealed...and all that things you read before about people selling their monomachines "just because it isn´t for them" start to feel more coherent...even when you thinked this people was just fantom lovers with a bunch of cash to spend in the last cool thing

14. you leave the mono alone for a while, thinking about put it on ebay the next week

15. you back to your old and trusty synths and try to play and program the good old things you know and love...but something is wrong...

16. you realized that your old synths sounds somewhat dull...maybe lacking definition or bite...strange...

17. you back to the monomachine and hear it again after some days of not turning it on...but wait! is this the same synth with that crappy nintendo sound??? the bite, the definition, the shine, the rawness, the cutting edge you was looking for yesterday ia all there!

18. you start to use the mono realizing that the key is the interaction of the sequencer with the sound engine...why don´t you thinked about it before? you know that but you was blinded with your sonic routine!

19. music start to come and sound wonderful, your workflow improved and you find that the combination of the monomachine with your old phat synths is amazing!

20. you decide to get the machinedrum, or, if you already got it, you start to write threads about that mythological beast: the elektron sampler
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
I should be at point 8 on Friday , must remember to keep point 19 in mind with a view going forward of reaching point 20
Go to top Post Reply