As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: distort!
#7780
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago

5inusoid wrote:

jsrockit wrote:


This: http://www.analoguehaven.com/zvex/lofiloopjunky/



This is a looping pedal, not a distortion.


Yes, but....

This is the Lo-Fi Loop Junky. It's really low fidelity... the recording of your guitar is filled with hiss, moan, distortion and warped-record strangeness, but everyone will be able to tell the loop from your real guitar. Because the processing of your direct guitar is done with the new bootstrap circuit, with the very highest impedance circuit z.vex has ever developed (even higher than the super hard-on circuit) your direct guitar will have detail incomparable with anything you've ever heard.

The juxtaposition of your direct guitar against the smashed, distorted, shimmering/warbling recording of the loop mechanism will make it clear once and for all who is the guitarist and what is the machinery.

By the way...if we used your logic...the sherman is a filter.
  The topic has been locked.
#7781
Cappy
Posts: 62
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago

Friend wrote:


Yes, but....

This is the Lo-Fi Loop Junky. It's really low fidelity... the recording of your guitar is filled with hiss, moan, distortion and warped-record strangeness, but everyone will be able to tell the loop from your real guitar. Because the processing of your direct guitar is done with the new bootstrap circuit, with the very highest impedance circuit z.vex has ever developed (even higher than the super hard-on circuit) your direct guitar will have detail incomparable with anything you've ever heard.

The juxtaposition of your direct guitar against the smashed, distorted, shimmering/warbling recording of the loop mechanism will make it clear once and for all who is the guitarist and what is the machinery.

By the way...if we used your logic...the sherman is a filter.


Yes, I see your point. Endmusik really wants one of these.

I don't understand your last line about my logic, though?

I'm not the one who recommended the Sherman.
  The topic has been locked.
#7782
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago

5inusoid wrote:

Yes, I see your point. Endmusik really wants one of these.

I don't understand your last line about my logic, though?

I'm not the one who recommended the Sherman.


Oh, sorry to imply that you told him to get the Sherman. All I meant was that the sherman is a filter...but is a hell of a distortion device. This looper is also a crazy distortion device as well.
  The topic has been locked.
#7784
Cappy
Posts: 62
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago

Friend wrote:

5inusoid wrote:

Yes, I see your point. Endmusik really wants one of these.

I don't understand your last line about my logic, though?

I'm not the one who recommended the Sherman.


Oh, sorry to imply that you told him to get the Sherman. All I meant was that the sherman is a filter...but is a hell of a distortion device. This looper is also a crazy distortion device as well.


Ahhhh Grasshoppa! Now I understand.
  The topic has been locked.
#7785
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago
the lofi looper is insane - I spent some time with the zvex crew at NAMM and they all seem to love that pedal like crazy. It's not a distortion per se but damn it does some great stuff to looped audio!

as for the sherman - I've NEVER used it as a "filter". Ever. seriously - in the 2+ years I've had it it's been purely a distortion and modulation box, I've never even attempted a filter sweep with it 8-)

shopping for pedals with 5inusoid was a trip - except he got the damned blue box and I wanted it. That's ok, I picked up a Boss SE-50 before he even spotted it :-P It's awesome - most of the programs operate at 32K! This thing is an INSANE digital noise box.....
  The topic has been locked.
#7786
Game & Watch
Posts: 4248
0
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago

endmusik wrote:
most of the programs operate at 32K! This thing is an INSANE digital noise box.....


elaborate please...sounds interesting. Also, what does the looper sound like...can you describe it?
  The topic has been locked.
#7787
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago
well, I mean the internal sample rate of most of the programs is at less than 44.1 - which gives everything this really kind of horrid grit and aliasing madness (which I'm 100% certain most people would, and do, criticize about the unit )

it's got some great gritty reverbs, and multi-tap pitchshifting, as well as the classic flange and chorus. Basically, imagine a whole mess of crappy boss stompboxes in one little half-rack unit :-D

as for the lofi-looper, check out the zvex video, they do a much better job explaining it then I ever could!

product page:
http://zvex.com/junky.html
video demo:
http://media.zvex.com/lofi.mov
  The topic has been locked.
#7788
Game & Watch
Posts: 4248
0
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago

5inusoid wrote:

Friend wrote:

5inusoid wrote:

Yes, I see your point. Endmusik really wants one of these.

I don't understand your last line about my logic, though?

I'm not the one who recommended the Sherman.


Oh, sorry to imply that you told him to get the Sherman. All I meant was that the sherman is a filter...but is a hell of a distortion device. This looper is also a crazy distortion device as well.


Ahhhh Grasshoppa! Now I understand.


Well, endmusik is right...it isn't much of a distortion unit...not in a bash your ears to death type of way... but it mucks stuff up...

http://media.zvex.com/lofi.mov

The sonic alienator is though...

http://www.frostwave.com/sonicalienator/frostwave-alien2.mp3
  The topic has been locked.
#7790
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago
sneak peak of something for you all that I just tidied up, but it's got an ass-ton of the gear everyone is talking about here - this track is:

guitars: all processed through the sherman filterbank, Effector 13 Soda Meiser, and an Ensoniq DP/4

Keys/basslines - Monomachine through the Boss SE-50

Drums: temporary placeholder breaks ala Phatmatik

weird floaty keyboards: Crumar Orchestrator through the DP/4

http://thewretch.com/audio/WR_ILoveOnlyYou.mp3

a little ditty called "I Love Only You"
  The topic has been locked.
#7792
Yoshi
Posts: 825
Re: distort! 14 Years, 1 Month ago

ThinkTanx wrote:
Yeah, divi, definitely reminiscent of NIN ('The Fragile' in particular). The stereo guitars are sick, love the width and distortion. So the distortion is totally from the Sherman?

yup, guitar distortion is all sherman, then added delay and filter modulation on the delay in Live. the stereo out of the sherman + the filter modulation on the delay gives the athmospheric feel to the track.

here's an update of the track, with extra guitar in the 2nd part, also through the sherman:
http://dtr.wanadoom.nl/dtr/dtr-guitar_jam_08.mp3


(btw, now i'm listening to my mp3 export and i hear strange volume drop-out's. do you guys have that too? might be due to my crappy pc speakers)
  The topic has been locked.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop

Login Form

start Player