As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Save as NOOOOOO!! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Save as NOOOOOO!!
King Koopa
Save as NOOOOOO!! 12 Years, 7 Months ago
Just got screwed by my first use of "Save As New" in the OT

Was in a saved project messing around with some settings and ended up with something completely different so thought i'd save it as a new project so I wouldn't overwrite the current one....nope, the OT first syncs the current project to card before it creates a new one, resulting in a duplicate with a new name!!

Shouldn't saving as new disable automatic syncing of the current project to card!!??

Losing the work isn't a massive headache as the projects in question are completely experimental but the save options in the OT seem a bit arse about face of you ask me.

I refer to this thread. I have to say, i'm with Moogens on this one.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Save as NOOOOOO!! 12 Years, 7 Months ago
Oooh, that's a nasty one.

If that's the case then absolutely it should disable to-card sync.

Submit it as a bug.
Yoshi
analogue_steve
Wow... that's a big bug right there... that's a rock lobster sized bug.
King Koopa
Just been having a look through the manual and as far as I can make out "Save As New" is what Elektron considers a "Save". I don't like the terminology they have picked for the overall project saving options. (Nor the ordering in the file list)

To my mind, the ordering and naming for the project menu should be as follows...

CHANGE (No problem)
SAVE (Currently called Store Backup)
SAVE AS NEW (Should do as it's told and not murder the current project in the process)
REVERT TO SAVED (Currently called Restore Backup)
SYNC TO CARD (Should be right at the bottom and only required as a precaution before ejecting the CF card, and maybe for quietly saving a working backup so you can switch between projects without loosing where you're at during experiments)

Seems like standard logic to me, and a naming convention that people would understand??? There doesn't even need to be that many options really, but I guess "REVERT TO SAVED" would be useful for quickly getting back to your save instead of having to dig through the projects list to reload it.

Thoughts?

I'll email Elektron.
King Koopa
Soundcloud
Trinity SH101 Juno6 JX3P cs10 NM1 Z1 K5000s MB33II Ipad3 MicroQ TX81z DX200 WS/AD VZ8m XD5 DP4 Gtrz
Had noticed the same issue when I first got my OT... have since always 'saved as new' at the beginning of experimenting, which I agree isn't very intuitive.

I am 100% behind your menu suggestions.
Killer Beez
From the manual:

STORE BACKUP sets a backup point for the project. As all changes to a project are autosaved,
this is the only way to return to a specific state of a project. Note that a project only
can contain one backup point. Adding a second backup point will overwrite the first."

I use this function often and it has always worked well for me. That isn't to say that autosave doesn't sometimes piss me off, and yea the menu wording seems offf to me too. Plus I would really like an option when loading a project to load from the last SAVE point instead of from my last random knob and button mashing session..
Killer Beez
3 brown dogs barking at each other....
Plus I would really like an option when loading a project to load from the last SAVE point instead of from my last random knob and button mashing session..

You should be able to close the current project with a save or save as new before power down like its been done for years in a DAW and power up to a desired template ready to load whatever you want.

The OT is unnecessarily confusing here but I wasn't sure if that was just the elektron way.... How do the other machines deal with save/as/close/open?
To add to this, I dont like how the OT autosaves everything to card...There are times where I jammed the current set, changing things on patterns, overwriting part - basically playing with the machine but I dont want to save this, so the only way I can think of is to empty reset the machine!

It should be as an option under personalize, autosave on / off

I suggested to them, we will see how it goes
N_Rain wrote:
From the manual:

STORE BACKUP sets a backup point for the project. As all changes to a project are autosaved,
this is the only way to return to a specific state of a project. Note that a project only
can contain one backup point. Adding a second backup point will overwrite the first."

I use this function often and it has always worked well for me. That isn't to say that autosave doesn't sometimes piss me off, and yea the menu wording seems offf to me too. Plus I would really like an option when loading a project to load from the last SAVE point instead of from my last random knob and button mashing session..

yep, i tend to 'store backup' when a project is in a stable place, or at the end of a session. that way, i can screw about with it (and 'save as new' if i like) and still keep the orginal version (by 'restore backup' on the original project).

it would be nice to have the option not to automatically sync-to-card, though.
Killer Beez
PlayRecords wrote:
Plus I would really like an option when loading a project to load from the last SAVE point instead of from my last random knob and button mashing session..

You should be able to close the current project with a save or save as new before power down like its been done for years in a DAW and power up to a desired template ready to load whatever you want.

The OT is unnecessarily confusing here but I wasn't sure if that was just the elektron way.... How do the other machines deal with save/as/close/open?

The problem with this is that if you open a project and do anything at all (like rehearse or jam) then you would need to reload the backup before unloading the project so it would load in the desired state the next time so why not just load from the save point when loading the project? Or at least a choice would be nice.. I do the extra steps but I find the extra steps a hinderance. When I SAVE something, that is where I want to start from the next time and every time. The only time I have any use whatsoever for autosave is if the OT crashes it will (usually) remember where I was..

Go to top Post Reply